How did you find us?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! :mug:

Please let us know how you found HomeBrewTalk.com ....
I think I stumbled on it a few times while rounding up a list of equipment I was going to need to make my own pear turbo cider. The pirumellier niche is very small and therefore, I think, worth doing right, and if a batch of this stuff takes over a month to make, I oughtta-wanna-gotta get the rookie mistakes out of the way before buying a $140 bag of puree. So by all means bring me up to speed.
--JK

Had a buddy at work recommend this site in case i had questions. Currently trying to procure the rest of my materials so i can brew my christmas gift. It will be my first attempt. Unfortunatly its a 5 gal recipe. Should be fun. This has gotten really interesting chemistry wise since my profession is wastwater.

Had a buddy at work recommend this site in case i had questions.
Welcome to our forums!

Unfortunatly its a 5 gal recipe.
Why unfortunately? Did you want to start with a smaller batch?
Say, to make 2.5 gallons, just use half the ingredients.

This has gotten really interesting chemistry wise since my profession is wastwater.
We brewers are on top of the water chain, wanting the cleanest water, and treat it to remove chlorine and chloramines.
For most of our lighter color beers we prefer to start with water that's low in minerals, and add those we want. With dark(er) beers, higher mineral content can be just fine.

What you're brewing?

I feel like i could better explain with a picture.

Attachments

• 17054316233691897615292246664509.jpg
    17054316233691897615292246664509.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to our forums!

We brewers are on top of the water chain, wanting the cleanest water, and treat it to remove chlorine and chloramines.
For most of our lighter color beers we prefer to start with water that's low in minerals, and add those we want. With dark(er) beers, higher mineral content can be just fine.

What you're brewing?
Thanks for the welcome. Currently on brew day. And working on the second hop addition. The unfortunate part was i didnt have all the equipment.

Welcome to our forums!

What you're brewing?
To add to this i had gotten swindled into buy a 10k Reverse Osmosis water system when i bought my house so the water i am using is extremely clean as comes out of the tap here.

Our entire family enjoys craft beer & I have several friends who are home brewers, so my wife & kids decided to give me the gift of starting the home brew hobby this past Christmas. This forum was recommended by a couple of people I know, so here I am. Hoping to have my first brew day in a couple weeks - still need a couple small items before diving in.

I have a Brewing friend Bob who taught me how to make Apple Cider the real way and then turn it into Vinegar. For AVC.. Well, he left me because he says he doesn't make vinegar... and to figure the rest out on my own... so a little google search and I found you.

Hello all, I was trying to find a Brew Water Report for Waco Texas yada yada Yada and here I am......... still have not found that info but here I am.
I'd contact your water supply company, and ask for their Quality Control dept. They have complete analysis data.

While you've got them on the phone, ask how stable those numbers are year-round or whether they change with seasons and/or weather patterns. Often companies will use water from alternate sources depending on current supply / demand, such as during droughts. Those could change your mineral content drastically, overnight.

Get the skinny on those numbers!

Now most water companies will send a yearly report or have a report online. but these are basically EPA requirements, and typically do not contain mineral analysis, the ions we brewers are mostly interested in.

If water composition changes during the year, there's no use getting a (paid for) water report, such as from Ward Labs, as it will be merely a snapshot that has little validity over longer times.

Back