How cold is too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spb

Reaction score
I asked this question as a reply to someone else's question but thought I would just come out and ask it in its own thread. I have an ale in my secondary with which I used Pacman yeast. I know it is okay to ferment at 60 degrees with this yeast but is it bad to go lower? It has been dropping down into the high 50s at night. Is it bad for all yeasts to go below 60 degrees?

Is that the beer temp or the air temp? I would wager if the beer temp is going a few degrees below 60 it is unlikely that it would produce any off flavors. It might slow it down a slight bit though.

Too great a temperature swing can cause yeast to think it's time to hibernate. If they do, they'll stop fermenting and drop out of suspension. If it's still going you're probably fine, if it's stopped early try warming it up a bit and holding it there.

The beer is dropping to the high 50s. And this particular yeast is Rogue's Pacman ale yeast. I was wondering about the effects on all ale yeasts of dropping below 60.

As long as fermentation is complete, it will not hurt the beer at all to have the temp fall into the 50's. It will actually be beneficial because the yeast will settle faster and help clear the beer.

If fermentation isn't complete, like mentioned above, the yeast might start to go dormant because you are probably getting near the lower temperature range. Your attenuation may suffer if that is the case.

Back