How can I understand if my fermantation infected or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deswesher

Reaction score
Everything was fine. This was my first kit. It was pilsner. I put the yeast then closed the lid. After 20 minutes I realized there is a little leaking from faucet. I sanitized my arm and open lid, reach the gasket, tighten it, then closed the lid. I was fast. Today is the third day. Airlock bubbles steadily. I'm seeing krausen. Smells good. I don't have any measures unfortunately. But did my beer get infected. How can I understand without measuring? What are the chances?

You won't know for sure for a while. During active primary fermentation you're not going to be able to tell much. After fermentation settles down, your beer might start to smell/taste "off" (sour, funky, etc) and/or develop a pellicle (film on top of the beer). Chances are it's fine, but with any cold-side contact with unsterile objects there's always risk. Sanitizing your arm was a good move and has worked for me in the past, but it's not a guarantee. For now, don't worry about it!

Back