how can I bump the alcohol content with this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedster00

Reaction score
Hey guys-
So this is the recipe (partial mash) and ingredients that I have which I may start this weekend. Then I had a wild thought about making it a big beer. So, what can I add/replace to this to get my alcohol in the 10%+ range? I've never made a high alcohol content beer but I've read you can add 1-2 lbs of sugar and a particular yeast to make it happen. Any help is appreciated. thanks

5 lbs Wheat unhopped malt extract

2 lb Light unhopped malt extract

2 lb Flaked Oats

1 lb White wheat

1 oz Willamette hops (bittering)

1 oz Saaz hops (finishing)

1 oz Coriander seed

1 oz Sweet Orange Peel

1 pkg Windsor ale yeast

See if you can find 1010(american wheat) from wyeast. It's good to about 10%. Or 1388(belgian strong) it's good to 12% or so. You're trying to make a specialty beer so it's good IMO to go with a yeast other than the standby dry ones

you could just double your extract to get you there. pretty much every yeast can get in you into the 10% abv range, although i wouldnt use windsor for it. why are you using windsor in a wit anyway?

you could just double your extract to get you there. pretty much every yeast can get in you into the 10% abv range, although i wouldnt use windsor for it. why are you using windsor in a wit anyway?

Its what came recomended by an aquaintaince that owns the shop. I dont mind ordering the appropriate yeast and extra Malt to increase the abv. Would you recomend doubling the malt extract and changing to the 1010 yeast? or would just the malt do the trick?

just doubling the extract would work, but I dont particularly like windsor in high abv brews, sometimes it falls short on attenuation. 1010 would be a better choice, but it really depends what you want the yeast to do in this. 1010 will lend some slight banana and clove notes to it.

If you're buying a new yeast anyways, I'd go ahead and go with the Wyeast witbier yeast (3944). It should be good up to 11-12%. Also, try doing a quick search for imperial witbier, I feel like I remember someone tossing around a recipe they were thinking about. I'd think you could increase your extracts by a few more pounds, then include a pound or two of sugar as well. I know some of my extract never likes to ferment completely out no matter what yeast I use, and in big beers a little sugar is perfectly acceptable. You may also consider boiling the sugar in 1/2 gal of water and adding after 5 days of fermentation to make sure the yeast chews up that maltose.

do I need both the activator and the propigator for the 3944 or 1010? Or would just the propigator suffice? I've never used a "2 stage" yeast product before. I've stuck with the $2 yeast in the past so $11 + shipping seems steep for yeast.

Thanks for all the help

Alan

I hope you plan on a huge starter. High alcohol brews require plenty of healthy yeast and a good dose or two of pure O2.

do I need both the activator and the propigator for the 3944 or 1010? Or would just the propigator suffice? I've never used a "2 stage" yeast product before. I've stuck with the $2 yeast in the past so $11 + shipping seems steep for yeast.

Thanks for all the help

Alan

you would just need to make a starter, heres some info on what a starter is and how to make them: http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.htm

if you're more comfortable with dry yeast, or don't want much flavor from your yeast, 2 packs of nottingham or fermentis S-05 would be fine for this. they're both pretty neutral and great attenuators. if you want a little more fruity esters, you could go with S-04 instead. fermentis has some others too if you want a lil more from your yeast and want to stick with dry. I've never used the others, but heres some info if you want to learn more: http://www.fermentis.com/FO/60-Beer/60-11_product_rangeHB.asp

looking at the fermintus website, the S-33 seems like a good choice as a high ABV yeast for wheats. thoughts?

Back