How can anyone drink Budweiser ...yuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So we left home this morning for a week to close up and do some renovation at the family lake cabin. It's Sunday, and I forgot to bring my good beer. Yeah, bonehead move! So the only beer you can buy in Minnesota on Sundays is 3.2 beer. And the only 3.2 beer you can get at the little C stores by the cabin is . . . wait for it . . .

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite and Coors Light.

Yeah, I'm having one now. If you can't be with the one you love, honey . . . it's better than a poke with a pointed stick! (how's that for mixing Crosby and Monty Python?) :D

Weird. I've never met a snobbish wine drinker. Then again, I don't find it snobbish to drink what you like and avoid what you don't.
Don't hang out with many from the wine crowd, do you?

Good friend of mine is what I would consider a wine snob. Now, keep in mind, Iowa historically was a fairly significant player (albeit maybe not a major player) in the grape industy. But to him, Iowa just can't produce grapes for a good wine. Oh, and strawberry, rhubarb, blackberry, cherry, watermelon..... those aren't wines, either.

And you're right... it's not necessarily snobbish to "drink what you like and avoid what you don't". Where it becomes snobbish is when you look down on someone else because THEIR choice of drink doesn't measure up to YOUR standards. And quite frankly, that attitude will do more damage to the craft brew and homebrew crowd than any tongue-in-cheek Buffalo Wild Wings commercial.

I eat taco bell, not because its the pinnacle of mexican cuisine. But because im broke and like tacos. Same thing with BMC , homebrews aren't ready, carbed yet, (gasp)all gone. I'll grab some Miller or PBR to wash away the days work. Personal opinion and/or taste i guess it boils down to

I don't get the food analogy, you have to eat food to survive, but you don't need to drink beer. On my own dime, I'd simply not have a beer unless it was something higher quality than BMC swill.

The big thing that I haven't seen anyone mention, simply comes down to variety. I don't have a problem with folks who drink BMC, but, doesn't it get old? I'm not talking about some of the folks here that may mix it up with craft beer and BMC, but the guys like my father-in-law that drinks Coors light exclusively. At home I keep 4 homebrews on tap, and always have anywhere from 6-8 different craft beers on hand in the beer fridge. When I decide to grab a beer, I have a lot to choose from, and switch things up. This is the best part of being a beer drinker/brewer today. I couldn't imagine being a BMC drinker that drinks the same exact beer over and over and over again.

I don't get the food analogy, you have to eat food to survive, but you don't need to drink beer.

This isn't exactly fair either because you don't need tacobell to survive either. Tacobell is not the only cheap food and you can still actually probably cook a better meal for the same price. If you needed tacobell to survive, I would be screwed... its hard to even call that stuff food to begin with.

I'd say there is a conscious effort involved with selecting taco bell just like there is when selecting bud.

I don't get the food analogy, you have to eat food to survive, but you don't need to drink beer. On my own dime, I'd simply not have a beer unless it was something higher quality than BMC swill.

The big thing that I haven't seen anyone mention, simply comes down to variety. I don't have a problem with folks who drink BMC, but, doesn't it get old? I'm not talking about some of the folks here that may mix it up with craft beer and BMC, but the guys like my father-in-law that drinks Coors light exclusively. At home I keep 4 homebrews on tap, and always have anywhere from 6-8 different craft beers on hand in the beer fridge. When I decide to grab a beer, I have a lot to choose from, and switch things up. This is the best part of being a beer drinker/brewer today. I couldn't imagine being a BMC drinker that drinks the same exact beer over and over and over again.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." They've found something THEY like, and don't see any reason to mess with it. My neighbor is a Coors guy - to the point he won't drink a Bud Light if you GIVE it to him. Gotta be Coors.

It's really no different than me going into the local steakhouse. I live in Podunk, IA, and people drive from 30-60 miles away to eat at this place, just raving about the steaks. The prime rib is apparently to die for. In the four years they've been open, I've never had either. Why? Because their hamburgers are pretty dang good, too. (2010 Best Burger in Iowa) And I'm the type of guy that while I love my steak, you give me a goooood bacon cheeseburger and I'm happy as hell. Same deal with the guys that just drink BMC. Yeah, they know there are beers that are probably better, but dangit, they like their Coors. Or Bud Light. Or Miller Light. And why mess with what they know they like?

As a young American, you are initially required to identify yourself as a Bud drinker, Coors drinker, or Miller drinker. You can argue its different now with more craft beers or hipsters drinking PBR but really as a whole it isn't. Many just take on that label during that novelty phase of early drinking and labels are comfort.

Its kind of like the whole ford vs. chevy thing. It doesn't really matter who is making the better vehicles that year. I still label myself a ford man but look in my driveway and you will see a mazda and a jeep...
Don't know about that, even as a high school kid 20+ years ago, I drank Henry's Blue Boar.

Mongrel said:
Don't know about that, even as a high school kid 20+ years ago, I drank Henry's Blue Boar.

But would you call yourself the exception or the rule. Working my early twenties in the bars I would say exception. At least back then.

jdozer said:
I eat taco bell, not because its the pinnacle of mexican cuisine. But because im broke and like tacos. Same thing with BMC , homebrews aren't ready, carbed yet, (gasp)all gone. I'll grab some Miller or PBR to wash away the days work. Personal opinion and/or taste i guess it boils down to

An attempt at humor, didnt work i guess

This is really no different than any other hobby. Some just drink beer, some make it hobby.

One of my other vices is stereo and home theater gear. It's no different, really, Some just listen to music on a boombox and enjoy it, some have 12 pair of speakers, a dozen or more different amps and receivers, different DACs, a few different CD and DVD players, tape decks, turntables, etc. and still are looking for the holy grail.

Wow people buy beer? Really? I thought hbt was about making beer lol! I never judge, I've drank many a buds at other people's houses I can't expect them to drink mine if I don't drink theirs.

Reason I support not drinking Budweiser:
1) It taste awful to me
2) I like supporting small businesses whether it's local restaurants or craft breweries around the nation.
3) I support innovation and passion. The whole industry that surrounds macrobreweries(bud, coors) is so cold--like blue mountains cold!
4) My next point, I don't support drunks. I don't blame Budweiser for drunks because we're all responsible for our own decisions; however, I stopped drinking bad beer when I was pretty young(17ish). Ever since I made the transition to good beer, guess how often I've been drunk? It's extremely rare if I ever reach the point past a buzz. Craft beer is to be enjoyed.
5) Finally, and most importantly, I just want people to enjoy beer to the magnitude in which I enjoy beer. It's really a fantastic thing, and I truly think there is a beer out there for everybody because beer is so dynamic, just like people. Hey, psychologist think we're simple enough to be assigned either a Type A or Type B personality, that's two categories. Hmm, what else has two categories and is great...oh yeah, beer: ale and lager! It must be a sign :)

wonderful way to express the beauty of barely......;) my sentiments entirely :D

GD51:mug:

Reason I support not drinking Budweiser:
1) It taste awful to me
2) I like supporting small businesses whether it's local restaurants or craft breweries around the nation.
3) I support innovation and passion. The whole industry that surrounds macrobreweries(bud, coors) is so cold--like blue mountains cold!
4) My next point, I don't support drunks. I don't blame Budweiser for drunks because we're all responsible for our own decisions; however, I stopped drinking bad beer when I was pretty young(17ish). Ever since I made the transition to good beer, guess how often I've been drunk? It's extremely rare if I ever reach the point past a buzz. Craft beer is to be enjoyed.
5) Finally, and most importantly, I just want people to enjoy beer to the magnitude in which I enjoy beer. It's really a fantastic thing, and I truly think there is a beer out there for everybody because beer is so dynamic, just like people. Hey, psychologist think we're simple enough to be assigned either a Type A or Type B personality, that's two categories. Hmm, what else has two categories and is great...oh yeah, beer: ale and lager! It must be a sign :)
I find it ironic that with your own argument, you shoot yourself in the foot. I'll agree that there is a beer out there for everyone.

Just, like it or not, for some people that beer is Budweiser. And there's nothing wrong with that.

What a perfect brew to slam if ya want to slam some after a good hike, fishing, sweaty yard work. Burning brush, ETC. I love my Costco 36 packs of Bud.

I find it ironic that with your own argument, you shoot yourself in the foot. I'll agree that there is a beer out there for everyone.

Just, like it or not, for some people that beer is Budweiser. And there's nothing wrong with that.

as long as i don't have to drink it ! :D cheers....
GD51:mug:

I drink Bud Light because I have a mortgage and two car payments. I also have two daughters and a wife who depend on me to support them.

Bud Light is drinkable and cheap.

Can I walk into the local homebrew store and drop 80 bucks on beer...you bet.

do I enjoy drinking those beers.

HELL YES

can I afford to do it all the time....unfortunately no.

Nothing in the world is better after a long day of yard work in 100 degree heat than a cold shower while drinking a cold bud light.

ive tried a shower beer with craft beers and it doesn't work the same.

So when the kids are back in school and my wife goes back to work and I get a raise will i drink craft beers more often....Yes,

but im not going to stop drinking Bud Light.

Unless Yuenling is on sale.

dkwolf said:
Don't hang out with many from the wine crowd, do you?

Good friend of mine is what I would consider a wine snob. Now, keep in mind, Iowa historically was a fairly significant player (albeit maybe not a major player) in the grape industy. But to him, Iowa just can't produce grapes for a good wine. Oh, and strawberry, rhubarb, blackberry, cherry, watermelon..... those aren't wines, either.

And you're right... it's not necessarily snobbish to "drink what you like and avoid what you don't". Where it becomes snobbish is when you look down on someone else because THEIR choice of drink doesn't measure up to YOUR standards. And quite frankly, that attitude will do more damage to the craft brew and homebrew crowd than any tongue-in-cheek Buffalo Wild Wings commercial.

Actually, I visit wineries, wine shops, and wine bars on a regular basis. But, I think the wine culture in Virginia is a little different. Virginia is to California today what California was to France 40 years ago.

Yes, looking down on someone purely because they like something different than you is snobbery. However, I find it legitimate to be concerned that others shoot down "dark" or "fancy" beers because they don't know any better and, at same time, support corporations that would just assume destroy breweries I love.

We had temps in the lower 60's yesterday so more yard work from WIND and grass is growing again. Was gona slam a few buds but went to the Home Brew. To me my HB is like Champagne, don't drink it all the time.

The taste of Budweiser is not nearly as bad as their business practices, and InBev is even worse. They're willing to lose 5% of their customers in order to make 10% more profit by lowering the quality of their beer. Then they buy out a craft brewery like Goose Island to capture back their lost market share but apply the same business practices. Quality goes down, profits go up. When people catch on and move to another brewery they'll buy that one out to.

There's nothing wrong withe the American Light Lager style, just the label on the bottle.

And yes other businesses use the same practices but I don't shop at Walmart because I can go to Target or Kmart. The same way you can drink PBR or even MillerCoors at this point because they are not the biggest offender.

I love an ice cold bud. I've also enjoyed the American pilsners I've been making.

Drank a bunch of bud last weekend at my buddy's wedding, first bud I've had in probably a year. It was good.

Democracy whiskey sexy blue jeans!

When what beer I bought used to about what I could afford. When me and the wife married cheap beer and and only a few cases a year was all that in the budget. Fast forward 27 years and Kids are gone I quit smoking and home brewing is IN. I really do not like Bud or Miller Etc. Drink what you like or can afford. Beer and wine snobs may not see the other side of life. God when I was young 75 cents bought a quart of Genny for a quick buzz. As a side note I've spent top dollar for craft beer that was swill. To each there own.

when what beer i bought used to about what i could afford. When me and the wife married cheap beer and and only a few cases a year was all that in the budget. Fast forward 27 years and kids are gone i quit smoking and home brewing is in. I really do not like bud or miller etc. Drink what you like or can afford. Beer and wine snobs may not see the other side of life. God when i was young 75 cents bought a quart of genny for a quick buzz. As a side note i've spent top dollar for craft beer that was swill. To each there own.

true!!!

When what beer I bought used to about what I could afford. When me and the wife married cheap beer and and only a few cases a year was all that in the budget. Fast forward 27 years and Kids are gone I quit smoking and home brewing is IN. I really do not like Bud or Miller Etc. Drink what you like or can afford. Beer and wine snobs may not see the other side of life. God when I was young 75 cents bought a quart of Genny for a quick buzz. As a side note I've spent top dollar for craft beer that was swill. To each there own.

I remember when Bud was the King of Beers and was one of the most expensive beers a person could buy. What was that old saying, “Budweiser, you must have just got paid, to drink that expensive of a beer. “

:mug: LOL :mug:

I remember when Bud was the King of Beers and was one of the most expensive beers a person could buy. What was that old saying, “Budweiser, you must have just got paid, to drink that expensive of a beer. “

:mug: LOL :mug:

It's still not that cheap where I am. Bud runs $6-7 for a sixer depending on what variety you're talking about (Light is closer to $6 and Platinum closer to $7). If cheap is your reason you should get something like Natural Ice or drop by Walgreens and pick up some Big Flats.

Budweiser or whatever people wants to drink they can drink I see no reason why somebody haves to ask himself why? people have different tastes and the rigth to choose/buy/drink whatever they want... even if it is yellow cold fizzy pee

Everyone is not a connoisseur. If you want some beer you might not want to take a chance on all these weird beers you know nothing about. Budweiser is a safe bet. I only really started going out of my way to buy unique beers after I started home brewing. I'd always give different local beers a try, but I wouldn't go around just buying something because I'd never had the style before. I wanted something I could drink most of the time and didn't want to get stuck with something I wouldn't like.

Another reason that just occurred to me is consistency.

Bud has attained the same level of consistent, mass produced product available world wide as fast food concessions like McDonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut. ( On an aside this is So much so that, internationally, this was what we thought of as American beer. In the UK, it is a relatively recent change that means greater availability of Brooklyn lager, blue moon, goose island and Sierra Nevada brews in our supermarkets so things are changing gradually.)

Back to consistency....

I wish I could say the same thing for craft brews, but I've often read people discussing a craft brew or microbrewery product with differing opinions where one participant will say " maybe I got a bad bottle, I'll try another one". I've had three bottles of one product from a local brewery here that all tasted different.

I think that global uniformity has a lot to do with their popularity, along with the fact that the product is a great example of the style and is more or less what people try to emulate when they want to produce a crisp American lager.

I think consistency it´s important for big bussiness, consumer wants to buy something and know how is going to taste but it doesn´t need to be a set back for craft breweries, good thing about artisan proccesses are exactly that artisan and unique, nobody will ask a winery to replicate the exact wine every year, every vintage it´s different and that´s part of the beauty. What can really be a problem with craft beers is lowering the bar, cutting down expenses in raw material or changing brewing methods, trying to squeeze a penny to much and you will lower the quality... I can accept a beer changing, different it´s good but I don´t accept lowering the bar

I'd agree to a point about your analogy with wineries, but whilst they have seasonal variations that are subtle in the most part they do not tend to produce two bottles that are completely different tasting products and label them as both being Pinot noir for example.

There is subtle variation and then there is just poor batch control. The three beers I mentioned were supposed to be chocolate cherry milds according to the label but they were so inconsistent that they may as well have been different brews. Subtle was not a word to describe the differences.

Yes, consistency control is easier to achieve on massed production scales than artisan brewing, or cheese making, or jam etc,etc but once a product is branded and offered for distribution consistency should at least be something the producer is trying to achieve. There is no point in putting labels on a product to say it is one thing if the next time a consumer goes for one based on a good past experience it tastes so different as to be unrecognisable.

I'd agree to a point about your analogy with wineries, but whilst they have seasonal variations that are subtle in the most part they do not tend to produce two bottles that are completely different tasting products and label them as both being Pinot noir for example.

There is subtle variation and then there is just poor batch control. The three beers I mentioned were supposed to be chocolate cherry milds according to the label but they were so inconsistent that they may as well have been different brews. Subtle was not a word to describe the differences.

Yes, consistency control is easier to achieve on massed production scales than artisan brewing, or cheese making, or jam etc,etc but once a product is branded and offered for distribution consistency should at least be something the producer is trying to achieve. There is no point in putting labels on a product to say it is one thing if the next time a consumer goes for one based on a good past experience it tastes so different as to be unrecognisable.

Exactly: the beer or wine doesn´t have to be the same but it has to be recognizable, that´s the key, some control and consitency it´s required and specially good storage and transportation, and this is very subpar compared to wine. For instance I´ve work in many restaurant with big wine list and decent beer list.. the wines were pampered... and the beers well they were stored outside sometimes in a very hot summer day... I wonder how many of the differences that we taste in beer are due to transport and unproper storage.

Back