How can anyone drink Budweiser ...yuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's mainly that a lot of people really have not developed a taste for beer. So they get what they are used to and whats cheap. A large portion of people also really only drink to get **** faced, and not to sit back and enjoy a good flavorful beer.

Don't get ur monocles out of place but......

I think Bud, PBR, and Coor's banquet are pretty tasty and would gladly drink one, free or not. I've also had more than a few craft beers I've poored out or could barely choke down.

This. Just because it's craft doesn't mean it's good. At least I know what I'm getting when I buy a 30 pack of PBR. Picking up a mix 6er of craft beer I've never tried usually leaves me pretty disappointed in at least one or two bottles. I'll take a PBR over a "meh" IPA any day. Maybe my expectations for beer styles is higher than most peoples? I don't know.

Because those products serve a purpose. In exactly the same way that I don't think instant coffee is as good as freshly ground arabica beans it doesn't stop me drinking instant when convenience or availability dictates. I can still enjoy it just not as much as my bean (or beer) of preference.

Am I going to ridicule people who don't like full flavoured strong coffee roasts? No. To each their own.

I have to agree that they have their place. When i go to bonnaroo in the summer, during the day, its always in the high 90s and feels like low 100s. While i bring brooklyn summer and some other canned craft beer, they're all still heavy during the day and the best thing in that heat is a pbr or 'gansett lager.

Also while in college i drank craft when i could afford it. But when i was broke i would pick up some 'gansett lager. I would also get it while i was out and broke because you couldn't beat a $2 tall boy.

I do understand that everyone has their own taste but that's just the thing, there is no taste in bud.
Like I said before, the people that I know that drink Bud on purpose are people that drink a lot and want something cheap and not filling. They are about quantity.

If you can discern no taste in budweiser compared to water, then it's not the beer at fault. If, however, you simply don't like the taste. Then so be it.

From the very start of this company, they have been willing to do anything to stifle competition from anyone, no matter how small. They have used legal harassment, law suits and purchased ads to attempt to discredit smaller and respected breweries such as Sam Adams and Pete's Wicked including inflammatory ads in newspaper and radio in Jim Koch's hometown of Boston. They constantly have resorted to false or misleading advertising to sell products. Even their beer name "Budweisier" is stolen as was the recipe for it. And weren't they the ones to use the slogan "same as it ever was"? We all know that's not true. They also have tried to bully distributors to only carry their products on their trucks and when this was called illegal they offered "incentives" to oust other products. The list goes on.

In the middle 80's I was involved with a homebrew club and became the president. In my travels I spoke to the former brewmaster and VP of production for the now and recently (at that time) closed Horlacher Brewing Company, Louis Kogelman. The brewery was in my hometown of Allentown, PA. He informed me that this small brewery (around 230,000 barrels per year) was sued by Anheuser Busch for what they called a monopoly on the train industry. Horlacher products were served on all trains in the area. Horlacher lost the suit and was forced to close shortly thereafter due to the sudden loss of this business. This information came from Kogelman himself who worked for Horlacher up until their closing.

Horlacher wasn't hurting Anheuser Busch and the train industry would have faded out anyway by itself as would have Horlacher most likely. But the giant AB wasn't about to miss an opportunity to put another brewery out of business.

These are only some of the reasons I will never knowingly purchase any product by this company. And yes, I understand the company is now owned by InBev.

BMCs have a few things going for them. They are cheap, readily available, easy to drink, and socially ingrained (at least in America).

I hope that some of my SMaSHes turn out to be as drinkable and as cheap as Bud Light. Before I started homebrewing that was my mainstay. I'd like to say that my own beer is my mainstay in the future.

As far as the legal stuff and bullying, there really isn't a way to get around it. You can stand on your morals but then you have to do it on everything. Like not using Walmart or Target, Homedepot or Lowes, Exxon or 7-11, Mcdonalds or Taco Bell, etc etc etc. Any company of a large size begins to force their competition to make more money because they can and that is their reason for existing. You literally cannot function inside of this society without contributing to a company that forces others out of buisness. Unless you live in isolation.

I had a dream last night I was at a bar and they were running a special. All the Budweiser you could drink all night for $5. I dropped the $5 and drank like crazy while my friends all paid $5 a pop for craft beers.

I woke up in a cold sweat and felt dirty.

I can appreciate Budweiser for what it is, but I prefer other styles.

I tried one of the Bud Platinums the other day at my youngest son's insistence. I got through half of it and dumped the rest into my Brat pot.

I disagree with everyone here who thinks eople drink Bud becasue it's cheap, marketing sells beer. My Dad can afford any beer out there, but he only drinks Bud and can quote most of their marketing slogans. Marketing sells beer and ABInbev spends bucks on marketing.

Besides, in college I drank Scaeffer Lite becasue it was cheap. I aspired to drink Bud Lite one day.

I like it when their ad for whatever their 'premium' version of Budweiser says 'it's brewed longer'.

Eta: ah, it's Budweiser Select that uses that phrase.

I disagree with everyone here who thinks eople drink Bud becasue it's cheap, marketing sells beer.

Disagree all you want, but if Budweiser raised their price to be the same $1.50-$2.00 for a 12oz like a typical Sam Adams is here in the NY/NJ area I can guarantee you they will take a huge sales hit, huge! Where I am people can get a 24oz Bud for that price or less. Sure marketing makes a tremendous difference, and if you take relentless marketing coupled with low price you have a winner.

I have to say though, I haven't seen a Budweiser ad in many years now. Keep in mind I'm not a Nascar and sports guy, but I do watch TV and just don't recall seeing any Bud ads in forever. Actually, come to think of it I see TONS of Sam Adams ads lately... but I don't see their marketing helping to dethrone Bud's sales. So yeah, cheap and highly marketed is the combo, but do not downplay the huge role being inexpensive plays.

Rev.

I don't like it and due to business practices will NEVER purchase it, but if someone else wants to buy and enjoy Bud I don't give a damn.

It's nasty though.

dfc said:
I don't like it and due to business practices will NEVER purchase it, but if someone else wants to buy and enjoy Bud I don't give a damn.

It's nasty though.

I'd say its relatively bland, or maybe generic.

Nasty is reserved for stuff like kestrel super strength or carlseberg special brew. Proper tramp juice.

BMCs have a few things going for them. They are cheap, readily available, easy to drink, and socially ingrained (at least in America).

I hope that some of my SMaSHes turn out to be as drinkable and as cheap as Bud Light. Before I started homebrewing that was my mainstay. I'd like to say that my own beer is my mainstay in the future.

As far as the legal stuff and bullying, there really isn't a way to get around it. You can stand on your morals but then you have to do it on everything. Like not using Walmart or Target, Homedepot or Lowes, Exxon or 7-11, Mcdonalds or Taco Bell, etc etc etc. Any company of a large size begins to force their competition to make more money because they can and that is their reason for existing. You literally cannot function inside of this society without contributing to a company that forces others out of buisness. Unless you live in isolation.
This here is an EXCELLENT point.

Myself, if I'm at the one bar in my area that caters to the craft beer crowd, I won't even consider ordering a bud light. Too many others to try. But at the same time, there is always cans of bud light in my fridge at home, because after sweating all day working outside, it just tastes good. That doesn't mean there's not also a shelf of crafts/micros in the fridge, too.

My biggest thing is.... I hate wine drinkers, because they tend to be snobs about it. I will NEVER turn that way with beer.

I eat taco bell, not because its the pinnacle of mexican cuisine. But because im broke and like tacos. Same thing with BMC , homebrews aren't ready, carbed yet, (gasp)all gone. I'll grab some Miller or PBR to wash away the days work. Personal opinion and/or taste i guess it boils down to

From the very start of this company, they have been willing to do anything to stifle competition from anyone, no matter how small. They have used legal harassment, law suits and purchased ads to attempt to discredit smaller and respected breweries such as Sam Adams and Pete's Wicked including inflammatory ads in newspaper and radio in Jim Koch's hometown of Boston. They constantly have resorted to false or misleading advertising to sell products. Even their beer name "Budweisier" is stolen as was the recipe for it. And weren't they the ones to use the slogan "same as it ever was"? We all know that's not true. They also have tried to bully distributors to only carry their products on their trucks and when this was called illegal they offered "incentives" to oust other products. The list goes on.

In the middle 80's I was involved with a homebrew club and became the president. In my travels I spoke to the former brewmaster and VP of production for the now and recently (at that time) closed Horlacher Brewing Company, Louis Kogelman. The brewery was in my hometown of Allentown, PA. He informed me that this small brewery (around 230,000 barrels per year) was sued by Anheuser Busch for what they called a monopoly on the train industry. Horlacher products were served on all trains in the area. Horlacher lost the suit and was forced to close shortly thereafter due to the sudden loss of this business. This information came from Kogelman himself who worked for Horlacher up until their closing.

Horlacher wasn't hurting Anheuser Busch and the train industry would have faded out anyway by itself as would have Horlacher most likely. But the giant AB wasn't about to miss an opportunity to put another brewery out of business.

These are only some of the reasons I will never knowingly purchase any product by this company. And yes, I understand the company is now owned by InBev.

buttwiper pretty much owned florida. but since the micro brew revolution they have see that folks out there want a decent brew.
don't support a large corporation that is the whole problem with our government

Because they like it? Just like some people like Coke, or Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper, while I don't. I don't knock them for liking Diet Coke, even though I don't like it. So what? I don't care what other people like or don't like.

I actually drink Jack Daniels with Diet Coke! Don't judge me... :drunk:

I don't drink Bud, but at least half of the beer sold in our country is Bud. They sell a barrel about every second, so obviously lots of people can drink Bud!

I don't care for cheap commercial macro brews. But many people do and mostly...I don't really care. I mean, I don't understand it. The same way I don't understand people who think that JD No. 7 is the pinnacle of whiskey. It's not the pinnacle of American whiskey. Hell, it's not even the pinnacle of Tennessee whiskey. But most people don't want to hear it or, more likely, they just don't care. And neither do I. I have lots of interests where I could get lost judging the tastes of other people but if I did I'd never get anything useful done.

I'll drink Budweiser, and I am fond of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs. I also enjoy and prepare some very sophisticated meals and beers. It's a matter of whim and budget.

I don't really understand some people saying that if someone boycotts InBev or Miller/Coors, they should be boycotting everything and might as well live under a rock. You need to pick and choose your battles. I understand the person that lives in a semi-rural area that only has k-mart, walmart, and a couple chain grocery stores (all of which have put the little guys out of business) within an hour of them. They would spend more gas money (as well as time) to get somewhere else just to avoid the "big guys". Unless the town is absent of a liquor store altogether, chances are they have a few good selections to where they can be choosy about what beer they spend their money on.

Some people targeted taco bell and walmart. What walmart shirt is as expensive as a gucci shirt? There's not. What taco bell regular hard taco is as expensive as an authentic mexican restaurant's tacos? There's not. What budweiser 6-pack is as expensive as several micro-brews? Oh wait, a lot of bud products are. That's where I have the issue. If they want to thrive in mediocrity, so be it, but they shouldn't be charging a premium for it.

I keep PBR in my garage fridge, and will continue to do so even after my first home brew is done. Where I live, you can get a case of PBR tall boys for $20, and that's cheaper than Bud. Has more body and taste than Bud, too.

I really like the best craft/micro beers. I buy them regularly, but that's not the only kind of beer I drink. Even if you can afford it, you can't eat lobster every day or it'll start to get boring. Ya gotta throw in a hamburger or a chili dog or plate of french fries regularly. Makes you appreciate the lobster even more. :)

^ Wow that is a great analogy! Very true this is why I try to have some decent beers sitting around because honestly only having one keg on tap can make the best home brews get boring after 3-4 gallons of it.

ElyIrishBrew said:
I keep PBR in my garage fridge, and will continue to do so even after my first home brew is done. Where I live, you can get a case of PBR tall boys for $20, and that's cheaper than Bud. Has more body and taste than Bud, too.

I really like the best craft/micro beers. I buy them regularly, but that's not the only kind of beer I drink. Even if you can afford it, you can't eat lobster every day or it'll start to get boring. Ya gotta throw in a hamburger or a chili dog or plate of french fries regularly. Makes you appreciate the lobster even more. :)

I would have to agree. I have som PBR around, and have been enjoying it since the 80's. I also like National Bohemian, a good beer for what it is. Sometimes a couple of easy drinkers is what I want, not always want, or able to drink the best, if it don't fit the need at the time. I have several friends who truly believe Budweiser is the king of beer, and couldn't afford the good stuff. I understand their position in life which have, and are controlling their decision such as financial status, ignorance, or just honestly have poor tastes. I always felt if they were in my way, and buying up all the good, there might not be any there when I get there. I know I don't have to compete with them as the are walking a slightly different path in life.

I never buy macro beer. Never. I just don't care for it, and would rather have water than one of those beers for the most part.

But when I'm visiting someone and they offer me a beer, I will drink it. And I will shut up and drink it, too. Because it's rude not to criticize other people's taste. Or else, I'll say, "no thanks". Either way, nobody cares. But I would never say anything about someone's taste.

I don't eat junk food. But I'm not going to hammer on somebody who eats Doritos or McDonald's, any more than I"m going to criticize their taste in beer.

Respecting people and their taste is just the polite thing to do. No one likes an arrogant prick. Did you ever listen to an 18-year-old vegan? Arrogant about their choices, like it's better than someone else's choices? Well that's how beer snobs sound. Like if those poor misguided losers would just be educated, then their eyes will open. That's arrogant.

People like what they like, whether it's food, clothing, music, movies or beer. So what?

as much as possible.......though in a world owned by corporations and a corporate national government to boot, it is most difficult to be 100% or really 50% able to practice non support of LARGE corporate machinations.
when it comes to my preference for brew i steer away from supporting huge money.....
GD51

What about beers like Ranier and Rolling Rock? I know they're both owned by BMC now but they originally were small breweries that chose to make BMC style beer. Are they better because they were the little guys?

Last night a friend offered me a bud and i hadn't drank one in years so i decided to take one and i almost threw up... its piss water in a bottle ...why would anyone spend good money on the commercial beers when so many good small breweries make great brew?

"marketing"

Reason I support not drinking Budweiser:
1) It taste awful to me
2) I like supporting small businesses whether it's local restaurants or craft breweries around the nation.
3) I support innovation and passion. The whole industry that surrounds macrobreweries(bud, coors) is so cold--like blue mountains cold!
4) My next point, I don't support drunks. I don't blame Budweiser for drunks because we're all responsible for our own decisions; however, I stopped drinking bad beer when I was pretty young(17ish). Ever since I made the transition to good beer, guess how often I've been drunk? It's extremely rare if I ever reach the point past a buzz. Craft beer is to be enjoyed.
5) Finally, and most importantly, I just want people to enjoy beer to the magnitude in which I enjoy beer. It's really a fantastic thing, and I truly think there is a beer out there for everybody because beer is so dynamic, just like people. Hey, psychologist think we're simple enough to be assigned either a Type A or Type B personality, that's two categories. Hmm, what else has two categories and is great...oh yeah, beer: ale and lager! It must be a sign :)

dkwolf said:
My biggest thing is.... I hate wine drinkers, because they tend to be snobs about it. I will NEVER turn that way with beer.

Weird. I've never met a snobbish wine drinker. Then again, I don't find it snobbish to drink what you like and avoid what you don't.

downtown3641 said:
Weird. I've never met a snobbish wine drinker. Then again, I don't find it snobbish to drink what you like and avoid what you don't.

Oh I have. One of my good friends is one and demonstrated his lack of knowledge when we gave him a wine he'd frequently dismissed as cheap swill and he raved about it. What I did was decant it into an empty with one with an "expensive" label from a brand he approved of. If that's not snobbery I don know what is.

As a young American, you are initially required to identify yourself as a Bud drinker, Coors drinker, or Miller drinker. You can argue its different now with more craft beers or hipsters drinking PBR but really as a whole it isn't. Many just take on that label during that novelty phase of early drinking and labels are comfort.

Its kind of like the whole ford vs. chevy thing. It doesn't really matter who is making the better vehicles that year. I still label myself a ford man but look in my driveway and you will see a mazda and a jeep...

Back