How big??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always just used growlers from local breweries to make my starters. They're more than enough to get the job done, and I happen to have several of them.

I don't know in terms of mL, but they're a half gallon. The way I see it, I'm making wort for them to enjoy, and then sealing it with a stopper. So, as long as I aerate the wort, pitch the yeast, and then seal with an airlock, it shouldn't matter how much extra headspace there is. The larger vessel makes it super easy to aerate the wort, the nice thick glass helps it to survive any incidental bumps, and I end up with plenty of yeast.

Also, I didn't end up having to buy flasks. :)

I would get at least a 2L flask to start. I find that I'm using the 2L ans 3L flasks most often. I have yet to use the 5L flask.

I would advise getting/making a stirplate too. That will allow you to make smaller sized starters that will finish faster than without one.

I've got one 2L flask that I received for x-mas and really like it. As long as you're not doing a monster brew or lager, it works well for creating a starter.

If you are doing a monster of a brew of a lager, I'd go with the advice from Taliesin.

You can easily get enough yeast for a larger brew (OG or size) with either a 2L or 3L flask and stirplate. Just give yourself enough time to cold crash it for a day between stints on the stirplate (24 hours there) and you can step it a few times. You cold crash so that uou can decant and retain more yeast before adding more starter wort. That's easier IMO/IME with a flask since its clear glass and you can easily see whats coming out (or about to).

I use the foam stopper in my flask now. I was using sanitized aluminum foil, which worked really well. I just like the stoppers better when the starter is going. Also, IMO, an airlock is a bad idea for starters. You want to exchange gases, not just vent CO2.

Back