how big is "too big" of a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
Afternon all! I am making 5.5 gal of kolsch this weekend with a og of 1.052. white labs kolsch liquid least with a production date of 20jan14.

online yeast starter calculators kinda range averywhere from 1.9 to 1 liter starters. I used mr malty and it said to use a 1.44L starter. I made it and is on my stirplate as we speak.( Starter OG is 1.040) just for s and g I punched in the numbers again as this is my very first starter and I am anal. lol it said this time to use a 1L starter.

I understand the importance of not underpitching (that's why I am doing a starter) but what happens if I put too much yeast into my wort? are we strictly talking off flavors? if so, how detectable are they? is there anything else I ahould know about overpitching?

If I did pitch an OK amount, I would still like to know the consequences of overpitching. Thanks and cheers!!:tank:

Better to over pitch than under pitch, generally speaking. In the case of a kolsch, better off over pitching.

It takes quite a bit of "too much" yeast to cause major flaws (i.e body, head retention, etc).

You're good but you probably didn't need anything over 1L on a stirplate.

Latest posts

Back