How about this toy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
I don't know about other people, but I always find it frustrating when I dough in to try to get a good idea about the actual temperature of the mash. I'll probe one place and itle be 153, another place will be 159-164. It annoys the hell out of me and I cannot figure out what the actual temperature is. My efficiency hovers around 70% which isn't terrible but I think better temperature measurements could help improve it a little.

Anyways I think I found the solution to my problem. Today at work I was playing with a Fluke Ti55 infrared thermal imaging camera. This bad boy allows you to look at the infrared spectrum emitted from an object to determine its temperature with a sensitivity of ~ .1 degree F. You can point it at objects like tables, chairs, walls (and the sides of a cooler) to see the temperature of objects on the other/inside. So essentially if you set the temperature range from about 145-160 and point this at your mash tun you would see very clearly the temperature variations throughout your mash, allowing you to take steps necessary to ensure better uniformity and consistent temperature gradient throughout the cooler.

Definately a must have in every brewer's toolbox, and at 22,000 dollars you can't afford NOT to have this.

Sarcasm aside I do wish I could bring this thing home and play with it on brewday.

Here is a link to the product at some fancy test equipment website...

Fluke Ti55 Ti 55 FT 10 20 54 IR Infrared Thermal Imager Thermal Imaging Camera

Patrick

I use two of those during brew day, One for my mash tun, and one for my Boil Kettle. Like you said, for only $21K, how can we afford not to.

I was going to pick one up but instead I had to use that money as a down payment for my house. Really what more important having a roof over your head or knowing the temperature of mash. I think knowing the temp of my mash, but I got out voted.

I don't think it will work. Infrared thermometers get confused by steam (rising out of your mash) and I have no idea how it is physically possible for it to measure temperature on the other side of my cooler by pointing it at the side.

Our company has one of these (to take pics of CMU walls to see if rebar is in there). Maybe I can sneak away with it one weekend :p Hopefully it comes back in one piece.

I don't think it will work. Infrared thermometers get confused by steam (rising out of your mash) and I have no idea how it is physically possible for it to measure temperature on the other side of my cooler by pointing it at the side.

I am not sure of the physical limitations. I do know that there was an AC adapter plugged in inside the room next to the one I was testing. It showed up in high enough resolution to tell what it was (like square not a big blob), and gave a tempurature reading of 115 degrees. I think it was just a plain drywall wall. As for if the thing was actually 115 degree's or not, I am not really sure lol.

I am not sure of the physical limitations. I do know that there was an AC adapter plugged in inside the room next to the one I was testing. It showed up in high enough resolution to tell what it was (like square not a big blob), and gave a tempurature reading of 115 degrees. I think it was just a plain drywall wall. As for if the thing was actually 115 degree's or not, I am not really sure lol.

I have not ever played with one, it is just what I've read/heard about the infra-red temp "probes"

I have a Fluke 51-II probe thermometer and it has a min/max/avg function that works great. It's still $200 (I got mine on eBay for less than half that), but there you go.

You want to get good temeprature distribution anyhow (stir frequently, fellas!), but the average function is nice just to sweep the probe through the mash and get a very accurate reading.

You also get a good idea of where the high and low spots are so you can pull the high spots if you're decocting.

Side note: I just made a triple-decoction hefeweisen and got 82% mash efficiency. Yeah, I know it's not Earth-shattering, but for a 5 gallon batch size and my first decoction mash I think it's pretty darn good. I way overshot my target OG so this stuff is a little bit :drunk:. But holy crap, it's delicious, and SWMBO is the hefe drinker, not me.

I don't know about other people, but I always find it frustrating when I dough in to try to get a good idea about the actual temperature of the mash. I'll probe one place and itle be 153, another place will be 159-164. It annoys the hell out of me and I cannot figure out what the actual temperature is. My efficiency hovers around 70% which isn't terrible but I think better temperature measurements could help improve it a little.

Anyways I think I found the solution to my problem. Today at work I was playing with a Fluke Ti55 infrared thermal imaging camera. This bad boy allows you to look at the infrared spectrum emitted from an object to determine its temperature with a sensitivity of ~ .1 degree F. You can point it at objects like tables, chairs, walls (and the sides of a cooler) to see the temperature of objects on the other/inside. So essentially if you set the temperature range from about 145-160 and point this at your mash tun you would see very clearly the temperature variations throughout your mash, allowing you to take steps necessary to ensure better uniformity and consistent temperature gradient throughout the cooler.

Definately a must have in every brewer's toolbox, and at 22,000 dollars you can't afford NOT to have this.

Sarcasm aside I do wish I could bring this thing home and play with it on brewday.

Here is a link to the product at some fancy test equipment website...

Fluke Ti55 Ti 55 FT 10 20 54 IR Infrared Thermal Imager Thermal Imaging Camera

Patrick

I can think of 22,000 reasons not to have one.:D

I actually have one designed for the military that we use for home inspections, and the occasional airsoft game. Never thought about using it on the mash, here are a few potential pit falls though:

1. If you aim it at water, it will read/show the surface temp of the water, nothing past it (same with glass, whatever)
2. Steam will play with it, but not so much. I can look right through a thick, hot smoke screen in huge airsoft games and really nail people, but that is totally off topic
3. If you aimed at the MLT, you would just see a uniformed temp from the stainless steel. It conducts heat well. You might be able to see small zones of small temp difference, but its not going to be easy.

Moral of the story is, these things kick much more arse on the battlefield as toys as in the brew kettle :)

barely Album - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

Quite a nice ..."toy"... indeed. The colors are amazing. :fro: The only drawback is that it only shows the temp of the surface, and the surface cools fairly quickly. Two inches down in the mash, the temp can be 15F cooler.

Gotta get the camera back in the case and back to the lab before I :tank:
...and before anyone notices it's gone :D

Cool pics barely. Sounds unfair to be using one of these in an airsoft game though haha.

Back