House Rules for Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Don't get drunk while brewing. I try not to have one before the boil starts. 1 leads to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to "Eff it, cold enough. Throw in the yeast"

2. Try really hard to remember rule 1

3. Clean as you go. I brew on a rims system of all stainless and copper and it takes no effort to soak it for 15 in some pbw and hose it out while your boiling. Takes quite a bit of effort if you sluff it off for a week. And it smells bad.

Funny after 3 years of doing this I only have 3 rules. Maybe I'll add 1 rule per year.

I like that rule # 2 is try to remember rule #1. So really only two rules.

I don't have "rules" per se...but over the course of two years and 18 batches there are definite patterns.

-Brew in the morning, if you can't be mashing by 8:00, consider pushing the brew day back 24 hours.
-No other cooking allowed while there is brewing in the kitchen (toast is the only real exception)
-Even if it appears that I am not busy at points during my 5 hour brew-process, I am not finished, and reserve the right to deny any SWMBO requests until things are completely wrapped up.
-Don't leave a running faucet unattended. Ever.

#1 for me is to tell my wife a week in advance so there is no schedule conflict.
#2 Clean as you go or it is more work in the end when you are tired.

I don't have a beer until the first hop addition, it's not really a rule because it gets broken when people come by to brew. If I'm alone I usually stick to coffee in the morning anyways.

#1 for me is to tell my wife a week in advance so there is no schedule conflict.
#2 Clean as you go or it is more work in the end when you are tired.

I don't have a beer until the first hop addition, it's not really a rule because it gets broken when people come by to brew. If I'm alone I usually stick to coffee in the morning anyways.

Rule #1 is a good one. I do this too but it is not really a rule. Its more for my sanity so that I don't get the "aren't you done yet? ", " I thought we were doing this" , or "I need to go somewhere, you watch the kids" requests on brewday. Oh I also put it on a calendar so that it is in writing. :-D I then also remember what day I brewed it in case I forget to put it in the brewlog, which is almost always.

So you haven't awoken on your kitchen floor to about 3 oz. of "wort" bubbling (burning) away in your kettle, with the hops still safely in the freezer, with you dog licking your face? Good man! Carry on.

I cannot say that this scenario has played out...I did freak out the day after a brew thinking that I didn't add the yeast to the cooled wort. It turns out that my brew buddy did.

Rule #1 This is "BREW DAY" nothing gets done til AFTER yeast is pitched. I Biab so clean up is super simple, 2-3 cups coffee as water is heating. Start time is 4:00-5:00 am unless I am hosting then it's 9:00am everything is laid out and timer set recipe is decided during the week. Scotchies sounds good maybe a bit with Shine? Wife keeps track of the timer and hops, she can do that while reading. Yeast is started at least 48 hours prior, grain is milled while water is heating, my mill is pretty quite. Beer flows as it wants, I stick to mostly saisons on brew day so # is not a real problem. Grill is started at first hop addition food is ready for cool down.

I wouldn't say that I have rules, but I certainly try to follow a routine. I have to make sure to plan the day in advance so as not to spring a brew day on SWMBO out of nowhere. I want the recipe nailed down at least a few days in advance. And I try to get started early to mid morning. And I don't drink during brew day until after pitching... anymore.

kh54s10 said:
My only rule and it doesn't get followed too often, is to get an early start.

^^^^this
way too many brew days ending after 2:00am

Man, too many morning people! I would NOT find brew day relaxing if I had to start it early. I am definitely a night owl, but generally brew in the afternoons into the evening -- if necessary.

Rules (more like guidelines):

1. coordinate the timing with SWMBO and the family calendar
  2. have everything ready and set out in plain view
  3. clean as you go
  4. we often have a commercial example of our brew-in-progress, or have an earlier product of our own (or both)
  5. gotta have noshes/munchies to go with the homebrews (I'm Italian & Portugese -- ya gotta feed people you care about). My brew partner's wife always sends or brings something yummy too! :)
  6. once the boil is on, we bottle the previous batch -- if it's ready.
  7. We don't drink too much because my brew partner(s) will drive home.

When I brew with my old man, we seem to have an unspoken rule. I do all the work.

Our dads must be related. As in, "Hey son, mind if I change my waterpump at your house since you have all of the nice pneumatic tools?" Translation: "Do you mind doing my waterpump with your nice pneumatic tools while I 'supervise?'" LOL!

He's earned both the right to "supervise" and to the help from me, and I'm glad to still have him around. Even if he does mooch my food and homebrew while he "supervises." At least he doesn't kibitz as much as he used to. And he's gotten pretty good at handing ME the tools now. Funny how the roles reverse...

Don't bug the brewmeister while he's busy on brewday. But be ready to help an old man when he needs it.
On that note,I know what you're old man is going through. I wish I could still get under the car & all that. Or do extensive yard work quickly like I used to when I was young. My sons get a lil annoyed,but have to remember what it's like on my side. Kind of a pisser that i'm the mechanic in da house,but can't do as much of the physical part anymore. You don't know what you got till it's gone. Kinda like that song,Cat's in the Cradle...

Or like me,build a car the same height as the fermenter stand to haul heavy kettles & such around. Now that a fellow member is trading me a BB for all those Cooper's PET bottles I don't use anymore,I got some work to do. Finally get to build the "L" shaped corner extension to the fermenter stand to have room for secondary & bottling stuff. That'll leacve more room for the fermenters,blow offs,etc. Now if I can just sit down with saw horses...:drunk:

my only rule is: stay sober enough to pitch yeast and clean the mash tun! have had a many a good beer brewed with this method!

My alarm is set for 4am tomorrow, hope to get a 11g batch of a pale ale and another of a cali common before I take the family to breakfast at 10:30.

More power to ya. I hope to have my back and my joints moving well enough to mash in by 9:00 am tomorrow.

I can't brew at home (local laws prohibit anything larger then a disposable propane cylinder in apartments) so I have a very understanding friend/co-brewer. Only rules we have are
1. Brew days start after 12pm (neither of us are morning people)
2.i provide finished brewed product, commercial/homebrew
3. No one drinks till we sparge (unless something bad has happened)
4. Co-brewer provides cheese (to be supplied when beverages are first opened), and dinner (following cleanup and several other beverage tastings)

Some of the rules are in place to make sure we don't get to lubricated as to forget certain steps, but include causes to help in case unforeseen events happen. And since I have finally got my process down those unforeseen events have gotten less and less (an example, while heating up sparge water i knocked over my brew stand with the garage door, only casualty was a ball valve on the gas side, we started drinking early that day)

A moment of downtime is a moment to clean. There's always something to transfer / wash / scrub / clean out. By the end of it the apartment is cleaner.

Hmm I guess my only ritual is that I always try to mash in at noon. I've brewed "off site" a couple of times and even on those brew days I made sure that the schedule allowed a noon mash.

Other than that, clean as you go, enjoy some brewski's in moderation and always have 2 timers going.

1) Thou shalt honor thy brewmeister's wishes.
2) Thou shalt not make undo requests of thy brewmeister.
3) Thou shalt honor thy brewmeister's requests.
4) Thine brewmeister shall wait till brewday is comeplete to imbibe in the fruits of thy brewmeister's labors.

If you want to reap the rewards of MY labour you have to feed/beer me while I brew.

I have a habit of forgetting to eat or drink while brewing and have gone till 7pm before noticing how weak I felt (although that was a very busy 3 brew day) but usually it hits around 3pm when it's only me.

passedpawn said:
Not really. Getting up early is a very nice thing. My alarm is set for 4am tomorrow, hope to get a 11g batch of a pale ale and another of a cali common before I take the family to breakfast at 10:30. Wish me luck.

Twenty years ago I was stumbling for my bed at 4am. Now I'm in bed at 9pm and awake at 4:30am. In twenty more years I'll be putting metamucil in my secondary. I second early morning solitude and peace. It is a very nice thing.

My rule is no "samples" of previous batches until the boil is underway and it looks like I've avoided a boil-over. I may amend that rule to wait until I've started chilling the wort.

Rule 1: Don't take this TOO seriously. It's beer, not tending to sick children.
Rule 2: If you DO have to watch your sick kids (or, in my case, nephews), DON'T brew.
Rule 3: Don't take this TOO seriously.
Rule 4. Start early.
Rule 5: Don't take this TOO seriously.
Rule 6: There is NO Rule 6.
Rule 7: Don't take this TOO seriously.

Im on my second batch, but I think Im beginning to see a trend.

1. Brew while drinking the previous batch. 1-2 max tho...
2. Brew while listening to good music (Old salsa, soul, classic rock or folk)
3. Brew alone from time to time, its like therapy.
4. Clean as you brew.
5. No breaks while boiling.

Rule #1 - Good tunes are necessary. I pick what gets played and nobody gets to complain. Whether it's Led Zeppelin, John Coltrane, Philip Glass, Sigur Ros or Talib Kweli. You complain about my music selection and you are kicked out of the brew space.

Rule #2 - RDWHAHB - I had limited myself to not drinking until after the boil was under way, but I've found that I generally stay busy enough on a brew day (cleaning, measuring and prepping boil additions, explaining the brew process to my dad for the millionth time, taking notes) that I don't drink fast enough to lose track of what I'm doing anyway. So, I have a beer when I feel like having a beer, end of story.

Rule #3 - Wear a brewing/beer related t-shirt. It lets people know what I'm doing, in case they couldn't tell.

Rule #4 - Plan the next 17 brew days and recipes. I think I have recipes picked for my next 5 or 6 years of brewing at this point.

Rule #5 - Learn something to better understand the brewing process. Think about and figure out something about how the brew day progressed and how it may have effected the final outcome. Maybe a grain used for the first time absorbed more/less water than other grains in the mash, ended up more/less powdery/flour-like after being crushed, added more/less color than expected. Maybe the yeast in the starter flocculated more/less than other previous yeasts. Maybe the OG was higher/lower than expected. Notice these things and try to figure out why they happened. You'll never learn the answers, if you never ask the questions.

Rule #6 - Take pictures of the brew day to post online and make friends jealous, especially the friends whose SWMBO won't let them get into brewing.

My master rule is to keep clean environment as I can't think in mess.
Also plan ahead, be prepared for next step and relax. Music is must, classic or hard rock...

My 'rules' seem pretty typical and have been expressed by a few others, but they are:

#1: Sample a prior batch while brewing, but...
#2: Limit intake to not more than 1 or 2 beers while brewing. If nothing else, I'll be carrying a big pot of near boiling wort to the water/ice bath at some point, and an accident would be disastrous.

Latest posts

Back