Hot (as in heated, not spicy) beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scone

Reaction score
:mug:

Just tried it, and it's not bad! I took a bottle of Spaten Optimator (maltiest thing I have in my fridge at the moment) and warmed it up on the stove 'till it was pipin' hot and added a 1/2 tbsp. of honey to it.

I've been fascinated by the idea ever since reading this, but never got around to trying it. Anyway it's cold in my house and I wanted a beer so I thought why not... it's surprising. Doesn't really taste like I thought it would but it's tasty in it's own way. I have to fight the tiniest hint of a gag reflex drinking it, but it feels good once it's in my belly. I wonder if I have a 'learned' bad reaction to hot beer due to never getting used to it.

Apparently hot beer was very popular until about 100/200 years ago, but there is precious little information about it on the internet. I guess it's kind of a dead tradition. Anyone else enjoy their beers hot in the wintertime? What's your favorite style to heat up?

The optimator probably has just a tad high IBUs to work perfectly for this. I'm guessing a chocolate stout or vanilla porter might be heavenly though.

In a similar vein, wassail was brewed with ale, not cider back in the day. Here's a recipe, I'm not sure about it's authenticity though: http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php?title=wassail

I just recently learned about this and gave it a try with my Dark Cherry Whatever beer I added some cinnamon, nutmeg, a bit of clove and a tsp or so of sugar to it. It was pretty fantastic. Though I don't think I'd try it with a pale beer, the roastiness of the dark malt really came out in heating it.

Very cool, thanks for linking to the article! :mug:

Now I really want to try this with some of my malt-bombs...:fro:

I really liked a hot, simple, young blonde ale

Yes, I'd like a hot, simple, young blonde as well!

Back onto topic, one of my favorite beers is Quelque Chose, which Unibroue recommends serving either on the rocks, or warmed up in a mug. I've had it both ways, and truly think it is better warm than cold.

Interesting...I've had malty beer at room temps 65-70 degree, but never hot. Might have to try it.

Latest posts

Back