Hopstand during the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKnuckle

Reaction score
Here's an idea - I wonder if anyone has done this:

As the wort comes to a boil, pull out a small volume - maybe a pint - and chill it down to 150ºF or so. Decant it into a mason jar, and toss in a bag or two of hop pellets. Cover and let it sit for the duration of the hot side of brew day, let's say a couple of hours.

When your wort goes into the fermenter, add this hop tea along with it, straining out the hop solids through a sieve or filter.

To me this is an extended hopstand without the added time or post-boil chilling complications, sort of a pre-fermentation mini dry hop (you could chill the wort down lower if you like).

Thoughts?

Your going to need a lot more than a pint for a few ounces of hops. Do hops max out infusion in a givin amount of liquid. Meaning will the liquid will get "saturated" and not absorb any more oil/flavor in such a small amount of liquid leaving flavor behind?

My hop stands are only 20 minutes or so. Not breaking the bank in time for the extra work. Would a 2 hour hop stand tea bring out the ultimate juicy flavor I guess would be the question

Intrigued. I don't know enough about chemistry in general, much less beer chemistry, to speak to whether this method would result in flavor similar to a beer brewed with a more traditional full volume hop stand. I wonder what volume of wort would be needed to maximize the process. I'd use a Wilser hop bag in a half gallon Mason jar for simplicity

The saturation question is valid. But I dunno. And I brew small batches, so I would not need to steep "ounces" of hops - just one or two tops. But increase the reserved volume accordingly if you have a bigger batch. Bottom line is that it seems like an easy way to get to a similar, if not exactly the same, result.

I vote give it a shot and let us know it works out. That's the great thing about brewing at home for a hobby.

I agree that you will need more that a pint, or you will be leaving oils behind. There is no question that hop oils, or anything else that is dissolving in a liquid will reach a saturation point, at which no more will be dissolved. I am not sure how much wort would be needed per ounce of hops though, that would take some experimentation (or someone with a deeper knowledge of these things that I).

I also agree with Denny, that this does not seem easier...

I think it's about efficiency and shortening the brew day rather than ease. If I can pull a portion of the wort and "whirlpool" during the boil, dump it back in at the end of the boil to make sure no critters are growing, chill, and go straight to the fermenter then that saves me the time I would usually be doing a hop stand at the end of the boil (usually 30ish minutes for me).

Back