Hopslist has launched!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianHL

Reaction score
Howdy HomeBrewTalkers!

This is just a quick post (with admin permission I promise!) to let you know about Hopslist - a site I launched about two weeks ago.

Screenshot_Sml.jpg

Hopslist is pretty simple, it's a list of hops (duh! :smack:), every one I could find in fact, their analytical data, full descriptions and stockist links. Essentially I grew tired of finding hop information scattered all over the net and figured it would be useful to have all that good stuff in the one place.

The site was intended to help increase brewers awareness of the insane variety of hops out there in the world today and to inspire beginners to try something a little bit different when it comes to hopping their next brew.

The site is a totally free resource but in the interests of being completely transparent, our current stockist links (on about 50 varieties) are Amazon affiliate links. Proceeds from these will go toward hosting and site development. I figured these would be far more useful than just splashing ads all over the place. Hopefully you agree.

Anyways, it's early days, so please join with me to help fill in any blanks and of course, your feedback is totally welcome. All-in all, I hope the site proves to be useful for you.

Party on Wayne. :ban:

http://www.hopslist.com

Cheers,
Julian

Nice reference, but I don't like the three list set-up; aroma, bitter, dual. One alphanumeric would simplify looking for information on a hop. Limiting usage to one of those categories is not keeping with what's being done in brewing today. Even more so in the homebrew community. Give us a detailed description and let us decide on usage.

site is very nice, unfortunately it is extremely slooow.
makes me feel like I'm on dialup

Noted CBelli. Sorry if it's a bit slow. :(

That kind of stuff is really outside of my skillset but I've actually got a guy working on this now. Hopefully those probs will be ironed out soon!

I like it, but I would rather be able to filter the type of hops I'm looking for. Maybe have them all listed on the main page in alphabetical order and if I want to search just bitter, or dual purpose, or aroma, I can use a drop down or something to just filter the results. If I'm just going in to check on a type of hop real quick it'd be nice to not have to figure out which category it's in.

I like the idea. Agree with post above about not liking the 3 lists. Found it odd that there are 3 cascades listed in 2 different lists.

One thing that would be cool would be a list of commercial beers that feature the hop in question.

The site is nice. It would be great to have something like this on hand and I can see myself using it a lot. There are some things that I also note, echoing some statements above, the slowness of searching bugs me and the three list is definitely not the way to go. I had to search for three hops I have used because I missed them doing a quick scroll on the list. The first list is longest, obviously, and leaves so much to be missed. Also, if someone doesn't know what hop they want then they could miss a great hop. If I came there and was looking for bittering hops, then I could easily find something by sorting it with a drop down.

I like the idea of listing all that you have and adding a drop down for filtering which I see happens on the top menu, but the slowness really drags. Finally, you really do want to increase the font size. If I click on "aroma hops" from the top menu, I get results that aren't legible, or at least easily legible. There seems to be something wrong because I assume you do not mean to have the font to be roughly 2 points.

You have a good thing going once slowness, organization, and fonts are fixed. :)

Google Chrome for Mac Version 33.0.1750.152.
Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 8.48.27 AM.jpg

Safari for Mac Version 6.1.2 (8537.74.9)
Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 8.49.35 AM.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys. All great points. I was actually considering eliminating the dual purpose category altogether to just go with aroma/alpha and an a-z column.

Will definitely look into more sorting options and I like the idea of a drop-down menu too. For now though, the search function might help you better find what you're after.

You have a good thing going once slowness, organization, and fonts are fixed. :)

I've just increased the fonts on those pages by about 20%, I think that makes it a bit more legible.

Also got a developer working on the speed issues too. The organisation stuff might take a bit longer but thanks again for the feedback.

I've just increased the fonts on those pages by about 20%, I think that makes it a bit more legible.

Also got a developer working on the speed issues too. The organisation stuff might take a bit longer but thanks again for the feedback.

Much much better. I don't feel like I have poor eyesight but that previous font size was bad and certainly not ADA compliant. :)

Looking good.

Very nice, it would be nice to have something like this in one place.

I second the above concerns about the categorizing the list, and also that the site is really slow at the moment.

I think, ideally, a very nice feature, since you seem to have compiled the data pretty well, would be to eventually implement a search function where you could do something like, say, sort by alpha acid content, co-humulone content, etc... Just a thought, obviously something that would take a bit of work to implement.

Agreed. The search is pretty basic right now. I'll add that to my list. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

..the site is really slow at the moment.

Quick update on this. I've had a developer make some changes to the template to try and fix this. Turns out there were some issues with CSS and Java that were causing pages to stall before loading. Should be much quicker now.

Also, I've added 27 varieties to the list.

Calypso, Ivanhoe, Gargoyle, Pacific Jade, Wai-iti, Riwaka, MultiHead, Neo1, Amallia, Willow Creek, Teamaker, Kohatu, Styrian Gold, Dana, Belma, Azacca, Cluster (AUS), Willamette (AUS), Goldings (NZ), Orbit, Smaragd, Bouclier, Red Earth, Angus, Amethyst, Sonnet, Vital

Thanks to everyone who sent through missing varieties!

:rockin:

Now to try and get pictures of each one...

Back