Hops: Whole versus pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
Relatively new brewer here...

When a recipe calls for 1 oz hops (pellets), does it matter if you use 1 oz whole hops? Is this comparable or is it more important to match IBUs. My inclination is to always choose/substitute whole hops, but I realize that's not necessarily better or the same. What's the general rule or consensus on the matter?

Match IBUs. If a recipe tells you to use 1oz of pellet hops at X% alpha acid, and you use 1oz whole hops at the same alpha acid, you're going to get less utilization. From what i read (confirmed by my copy of Brewsmith), you have to add 10% utilization to whole hops to equal pellets. Therefore, target the IBUs, not the weight.

Match IBUs. If a recipe tells you to use 1oz of pellet hops at X% alpha acid, and you use 1oz whole hops at the same alpha acid, you're going to get less utilization. From what i read (confirmed by my copy of Brewsmith), you have to add 10% utilization to whole hops to equal pellets. Therefore, target the IBUs, not the weight.

Thanks! What about aroma hops? Match weight or what? I feel as if the whole hops have more aroma...

I scale up 10% with the less "efficient" whole hops for aroma & flavor additions, as well. Instead of trying to match IBUs for that, first, then going backwards to achieve a weight, i just scale the recipe's flavor/aroma/dry hop weight up by 10%.

Is there an advantage to whole hops over pellets then? I just assumed there was because they smell so darn good.

I'm slightly curious about this too. Apparently Sierra Nevada ONLY uses whole hops and they feel like there's some kind of unique advantage in doing so.

Is there an advantage to whole hops over pellets then? I just assumed there was because they smell so darn good.

whole hops always seem to clog up every valve in my system, and they absorb lots and lots of liquid. I stick to pellets only because of these two things. Maybe I dont have a sophisticated enough pallet, but I could never taste much difference and I always ended up dealing with frustrating problems caused by the whole hops on brew day.

It is a matter of personal opinion. I prefer pellets for several reasons. Pellets tend to be more consistent as far as AA%, they don't soak up as much wort, they are easier to weigh, and have a much longer shelf life. I know many commercial breweries use pellets, so I don't believe there is a quality difference. Try both and see which one you prefer.

SN has claimed that they've had blind taste panels and could pick out beers with pellets vs. whole hops. Some people think the pelletization process, by definition, causes a degradation in the quality of the hop.

Personally, I've got a system set up that can use either, and I just go with the cheapest option/ounce. I can't tell a difference. When I dry hop, I use whole hops only because I have a sure screen on the keg that will filter them out, so I can just throw the whole hops in loose and not worry about it. If there was some screen that would filter out pellet hops, I'm sure I would just go with the cheapest option for dry hopping as well.

I notice 3 advantages in my use of whole hops:
1) less messy, especially for dry hopping
2) taste fresher (IMHO), especially when dry hopping
3) some varieties are free, as i grow them myself

Otherwise, the pros (the the weight of those pros) for pellets outnumber those for whole hops, mainly for the reasons described above - better utilization, easier handling, more consistent AA, easier to transfer pellet-laden wort, etc.

I notice 3 advantages in my use of whole hops:
1) less messy, especially for dry hopping
2) taste fresher (IMHO), especially when dry hopping
3) some varieties are free, as i grow them myself

Otherwise, the pros (the the weight of those pros) for pellets outnumber those for whole hops, mainly for the reasons described above - better utilization, easier handling, more consistent AA, easier to transfer pellet-laden wort, etc.

So maybe a good rule of thumb is to use pellets (where available) except when dry hopping (then use whole)?

Agreed with cactusgarret about there being a fresher taste with whole leaf hops.

I use both and especially like to use whole with the higher alpha varieties like Columbus. That's because my scale is not sophisticated enough to deal well with extremely precise measurements and the larger mass make it easier on me. Other stuff, not so much and I am not as picky.

Back