hops reached the top of the rope...now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bctdi

Reaction score
this is my first year growing hops.My cascades have reached the top of the v shaped rope I have strung from the ground to my deck railing.Should I now keep the excess trimmed?I was thinking about running more twine from 1 side of the v to the other and let the bines cross over and then back down the other side, but my only concern was when it got down to the ground again, I wouldn`t be able to keep the lower leaves trimmed off because this would now be the top of the plant where cones are produced.I`m not sure about that though, does anyone know if the cones will still be produced on the higher up portion even though the end of the plant has run back down towards the ground?My deck railing is 12 feet above the ground.:confused:

Is there any way for you to string an overhead rop horizontally across the V shape, or even a few strands? Or are there any objects away from your hops that you can tie some sturdy string to and have them grow horizontally, or angling down? I wouldn't suggest trimming them from that point on, especially as with first year hops apparently you want to do as little trimming as possible and only if neccessary.

I'd say try to give your hops some room to grow horizontally if you can, I don't think it'd be good for you to have the top of the plant hitting the ground, especially since then little monster bugs and animals may nom on your buds, and that would suck. I'm sure somoene with more experience then me will give some better advice though, as this is just my first year too :mug:

Is there any way for you to string an overhead rop horizontally across the V shape, or even a few strands? Or are there any objects away from your hops that you can tie some sturdy string to and have them grow horizontally, or angling down? I wouldn't suggest trimming them from that point on, especially as with first year hops apparently you want to do as little trimming as possible and only if neccessary.

I'd say try to give your hops some room to grow horizontally if you can, I don't think it'd be good for you to have the top of the plant hitting the ground, especially since then little monster bugs and animals may nom on your buds, and that would suck. I'm sure somoene with more experience then me will give some better advice though, as this is just my first year too :mug:

Yeah I can run the string horizontally across the v shape, but it`s only about 3 or 4 feet so they would get across quick , then back down towards the ground.That`s what I was thinking about doing, but still not sure about having foliage near the ground when it gets there.

Back