Hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardedterror

Reaction score
Today I brewed my 5th batch ever, an Irish stout. Everything was going perfectly, until I accidentally put in the full ounce of Nugget hops instead of the 1/2 ounce. I'm not really a 'hop head'. Will I have to let it mellow out for longer than I normally would condition, or will that extra 1/2 ounce not really make a difference at all?

Here's the recipe I used:

6 lb. Dark liquid malt extract
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
4 oz. Caramel 10L
4 oz. Roasted Barley
4 oz. Flaked Barley
1 tsp. Gypsum
1/2 oz. Nugget hops (bittering)
1 oz. Willamette hops (aroma)

Thanks!

It'll make a difference for sure, especially since it was your bittering hops. But hey, some of your best brews are going to come from accidents. Think positive. You may just love it.....

What is the AA% of the Nugget hops? Did you do a 60 minute boil of them? I'd need to enter the recipe into software to see for certain, but you probably have close to double the IBUs from that addition. Depending on when you added the other hops, you could have a rather different brew.

If you want to know, for certain enter it into software to see.

It will definitely have a noticeable effect but I don't think it will be enough to ruin a good beer. Especially since it's a stout, with a lot of flavors going around. If you had done this in something like a blonde or a light lager it would be a bigger concern. My guess is you'll drink it and say "hey, that's a good beer, but a little more bitter than I wanted".

AA% is 12.5, and I did a full 60 minute boil with them. Who knows, maybe this batch will change my tastes towards hoppier beers.

it won't be a hoppier beer, it'll be a more bitter beer, big difference. you'll definitely notice twice the bitterness, but it won't be overly high so it should be OK.

Back