Hops on a hill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I have a hill on the side of my property that I’m planning on planting a few rhizomes in for ground cover, any thoughts?

I’m hoping to put some poles in at some point but initially they will not be trained.

I've actually been considering the same thing. I'd much rather have hops up my hill than the obnoxious English Ivy I have now.

Will growing directly on the hillside cause any adverse effects?

That’s what I’m hoping for!

I’m just wondering if they will retain enough moisture being on a hill
I live in Utah and a couple of years I've been to busy and didn't water my hops. They did fine (I didn't get as many hops, but they still grew).

Hops don't like "wet feet", so growing on a hill is OK as long as there is enough water. The bigger concern is when you try to put a ladder up either to string them or drop them. Make sure you can figure out a way to do that safely.

I have about 12 hops growing on a slope, strung up no problems. I think its the third year. They are doing good without a watering system however i hope to hook up some drip hoses this year .

Planted 3 rhizomes on the hill...

Shortly following the 1st rain after planting, I noticed a hole right next to one of them. I thought well it must be a mole or something found a piece of soft ground to dig. I didn’t see any thing in the hole so I filled it in. A few weeks go by and two of the three have grown pretty well and again after a hard rain I notice a hole right in the same place.

Turns out my neighbors gutter drains right where I’ve planted my rhizome. Just my luck. It still grew ok but the root is showing. Now it’s the end of the season and I’m thinking maybe I should try to replant it a few feet away from the drain.

Latest posts

Back