hops - nitrogen difficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Do my hops need more nitrogen? The ends of the leaves are starting to die and on this plant, the lower you go, the worse the leaves look.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

I only have this on 1 of 4 plants but this plant happens to be the tallest and most developed plant of the 5. I spread more "organic hummus and manure" around the base of all the plants today. What do you think?

I don't know, but I'm having the same problem. I transplanted from pots when they were about a foot high and that almost killed them. They're recovering now, but I'd love to know what you all think will help.

Way too green for a N problem. It's normal for the lower leaves to die and actually removing them is a good way to reduce mildews.

but as you can see in the 1st picture, it's not all the lower leaves. the plant is probably 3 1/2 feet tall and that leaf in the 1st pick is probably 1/2 foot from the top.

todd_k said:
but as you can see in the 1st picture, it's not all the lower leaves. the plant is probably 3 1/2 feet tall and that leaf in the 1st pick is probably 1/2 foot from the top.

To tell you the truth, just relax. Plants are hardy and yours look great. As long as they get their sunlight (doesn't have to be direct), water and good soil (doesn't have to be 'great' peat), your plants will be fine.

It's kind of like waiting for your first brew to ferment...RDWHAHB.

I second the relax sentiment. My experience so far is that hops are WEEDS. They will take over your garden if you don't hack them back or contain them in some way and they thrive on neglect...

Back