Hops in planters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddygsu

Reaction score
I have second year plants in planters. They've done well, but I think I need to get them into the ground. Any pointers on when to move, how to treat the ground, etc? You can kind of make out the planters in the picture.

Thanks!

11165247_10152872739192196_9039960661576445205_n.jpg

I have second year plants in planters. They've done well, but I think I need to get them into the ground. Any pointers on when to move, how to treat the ground, etc? You can kind of make out the planters in the picture.

Thanks!

When I moved from pots to planters, I amended my soil to provide optimum nutrients to the plants. I used a combo of a bag of mushroom compost, a bag of manure, and a bag of topsoil tilled into the soil that is naturally in my yard. I did this in early spring, but I read that you can do this in the fall as well.

Once they moved into the ground, the growth and yield was astounding. Each plant produced a pound of hops last year, and are producing about the same this year (with one exception...Chinook). I also put my plants on a regular water and fertilizing schedule. The watering got blown up this year due to all of the crazy rain.

I moved mine this past spring. They have all done better than when they were in pots and all have cones on them right now, a few are just starting to form.

I didn't expect them to do great just due to the shock of transplanting. I was also worried about them dying off. So far they all look pretty good.

Some of them are starting to look a bit rough at the bottom but the top two thirds of the plants look good.

I also did what @theymond said, but I dug holes about twice as large as needed and filled with top soil and mixed with some of the crappy soil that I dug up. My pots where also potting soil/manure/compost mix and I used that soil as much as possible trying to keep the root ball together and covered in that soil as much as possible.

I don't water them as much as I should and I'm considering a watering system for next year. I have 14 plants going (some of those are multiple plants in one area) so not sure how I'm going to get a watering system to all of them but it's on my things to do this fall/winter.

Good luck.

Back