Mini Regulator gauge suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbro

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I changed the eva hose to a longer one so the tank would reach the ground and not need to be propped up, but when I was done the gauge needle ended up on the wrong side of the stop post.
guage-needle.jpg

I don't think I banged it or anything to do this, but have tapped it from numerous directions and cannot get it to move. Pressurized with tank and it just stays put.
Any suggestions on getting the needle back to the right side or am I stuck replacing the gauge?

I am totally mystified as to what this post means.

I wonder if other people are trying to figure out what kind of setup you're describing.

The needle will not show pressure because it is on the wrong side of the stop (zero point). I was thinking about removing the cover to lift the needle over to the correct side of the stop, but it wraps around the gauge and seems to be glued pretty good to the back side. I don't think removing the cover will affect the operation of the guage because that area should be unpressurized, so replacing the cover won't matter if I get a perfect seal again (as long as I dont break the cover getting it off).

You are correct that removing the cover and carefully adjusting the pointer is usually the best choice.

However, with a tiny in-line gauge like that, it's a decent chance that the whole thing is pressurized.

Since it's in the fix or replace phase, I'd start by tapping it face down on a piece of wood. Make sure the metal is contacting the wood rather than the plastic cover. Don't Hulk Smash! it, but you may need to get pretty convincing.

If that doesn't work, you may need to put a few PSI of gas to it while tapping.

The plastic cover wraps over the sides and is sealed on the back, so tapping on the metal is impossible. I tried pressurizing it and tapping, but pressure just forces it against the peg.
I may apply some heat to remove the seal on the plastic and try to remove the cover that way since it is no good the way it is.
I thought about applying a vacuum then tapping, but would need to rig up some other connection for that to avoid going through the regulator.

so tapping on the metal is impossible
You may have misunderstood..the idea is to hit it face-down in order to get the needle to 'jump' back over the top of the peg:
gaugeface.jpg

Sometimes it works, but sometimes even it it works, it will have shifted on the post or some internal part has gone slightly out and it may no longer read accurately. If you can get it to jump back in place, do what you can to check the accuracy. Personally, I'd buy a replacement... if for no other reason than to compare measurements and maybe have a spare on hand.
:mug:

i have no idea how you got the needle on the other side of the zero stop post. ( i dont know the offical name for that piece) .

however as agent said the whole thing is pressurized i know cause i blew out the plaswtic guage cover on one with a nitro cartridge.

you could definately get the needle back on the other side by getting the platic cover off but i dont know how you would reseal it. i havent tried to reseal mnine cause it also messed up the calibration on it so its garbage but i thought about 5 minnute epoxy .

a lot of those minregs are crappy. the real good ones are super expensive.

however the ferroday 0 to 60 hasnt given me trouble yet. and its very cheap . most of the others have .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4B4J76D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
what crow said is more likely. something aside from the needle is the prob. i think it got on the other side from going all the way around. not hopping over the post.

toss it.

a lot of those minregs are crappy. the real good ones are super expensive.
This. The cheap ones are notoriously inaccurate at low pressures anyway, especially the ones with 60 PSI gauges instead of 30 PSI gauges. They're fine for what I use them for - dispensing already carbonated beer from minikegs - but really aren't intended for much else IMO. The gauges on mine are actually replaceable, but it doesn't look like yours comes off. If this is a twenty dollar regulator you might as well just toss it and get a new one.

I had this happen on a full size CO2 gauge. I didn't know about the tapping trick. I took off the face and moved the needle, which advanced the needle too far past the post. This was obvious as it no longer read zero. Since that was the case I replaced that one gauge. If ever trying that I'd suggest going really light on the force moving the needle. (I realize that may not be an option here.)

Maybe just barely set the pressure to as low as possible and then tap if you haven't tried it that way.

I removed the gauge then scored around the sealant (seemed to be a silicone or plastic, I was expecting epoxy) and with a wrench on the body, broke the cover loose.
back-of-gauge.jpg
cover-off.jpg

The needle did not easily lift over the post without some force, so I do not know how it got to the wrong side. I don't think the cover is pressurized based on the internals. Now I will hook it up and use it for dispensing some portable mini kegs. If the pressure reads close, then that is good enough, if not, I will look for a replacement gauge. Shipping probably will cost more than the gauge.

Very good picture...zooming in I can see it's a very solidly mounted needle with a high enough rest-post that 'skipping' is very unlikely to have occurred. That strongly suggests some internal part drove it all the way around and I wouldn't trust it anymore.
I like your idea of replacing the gauge, but as @mac_1103 said; it'll probably cost more than the regulator, so here's a thought:
Again, as @mac_1103 and @fluketamer said; They aren't all that accurate unless you shell out more. If it's a standard 1/4"NPT fitting, you replace it with and accurate one:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/gauge60psi.htm
The one I linked to is a 0-60psi, but I know Taprite also has 0-30psi ones available... maybe ask @Bobby_M
It'd have a larger footprint, but at least it'll be reliable.
:mug:

(EDIT: C'mon @mac_1103 ..aren't we competing to get a comission from @Bobby_M ? :mischievous:

Yea, Something internal failed because the needle barely wiggles when pressure is introduced to it now.
I am looking for a 0-30 psi gauge, but the threads appear to be 3/8 which is larger than the standard 1/8 that I see in many searches. May need to settle for a larger size dial and a bushing which would be more accurate and about 10$ less than a whole new regulator.

It is a mini regulator for use with co2 cartridges (so it is considered primary), but I am using it with 24oz paintball tanks which give me a small portable system.

Are you sure it's 3/8? NTP thread sizes are far larger than the name suggests. I have this gauge or very similar, want to take the female flare off and put a stainless push fit on it. I don't want to break the brass though it's in pretty tight.

Another option is to seal up the gauge put it back, and get a duotight T with one of the digital gauges. Or if it is 1/8 NTP get a stainless adapter and put the digital gauge in it's place.

I can't vouch for the quality on Amazon for replacement gauges but I did notice that some had bushings included that were back mount. Also I was thinking the gauge on there was 1.5" but maybe smaller? (I don't have any mini regs, but many of the usual size.)

Latest posts

Back