Hops in or out during chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgar

Home Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When adding flameout hop additions to kettle, I leave the bags in kettle during chill, typically 20 mins. Hop additions at flameout are recommended for hop aroma. Am I defeating the aroma goal by leaving aroma hops in during the chill? How long should flameout hop additions be held in the kettle to get desired aroma results?

When adding flameout hop additions to kettle, I leave the bags in kettle during chill, typically 20 mins. Hop additions at flameout are recommended for hop aroma. Am I defeating the aroma goal by leaving aroma hops in during the chill? How long should flameout hop additions be held in the kettle to get desired aroma results?

I don't use bags or spiders, the hops go straight into the wort and there's no pulling them out. Then again, I rarely do it at flameout and usually wait until the temp has dropped to a certain point depending on how much bitterness I want them to impart onto the beer. That's what it boils down to (no pun intended) more than anything, IMO. The hotter the wort when the hops are added and the longer they're in wort above about 170 degrees, the more bitterness you'll get from them.

Last edited:
The aroma you get from hops come from a variety of aromatic hop oils. When the wort is hot, some of the aromatic oils boil off which changes the mix and you get what is known as flavor hops. Dry hopping does not boil off any of the aromatic oils so you get the most aroma from that. I believe you want the flameout hops in the wort for the maximum time to extract as much of the oils as possible so I would leave them in.

My hops roam free so they're in there for the duration. I whirlpool and get a pretty decent cone before transferring to the fermenter, but even so a fair amount of hop material finds it's way into the fermenter. I just don't worry about such things.

+1 on not removing the hops. My process sounds just like @Hwk-I-St8. Hops including pre-boil (FWH), boil and post boil (flameout/hopstand/whirlpool) hops all remain in kettle until I transfer to fermentor. I do a lot of hoppy beers and not unreasonable to see a pound of hops in the kettle (15 gallon batch). I whirlpool with an immersion chiller and get a decent cone (the spike kettle with its two-tier bottom finally made this work for me) and then transfer to the fermentor.

Latest posts

Back