Hops, hops and hops

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

aclockworkblue

Reaction score
I am making an IIPA and I have 6oz of Amarillo, 3oz of Simcoe and 3oz of warrior. What do you recommend as the hop schedule? I am doing a 90min boil and would like to dry hop as well. Suggestions?

Thanks!

BUCKNUTS

Reaction score
aclockworkblue said:
I am making an IIPA and I have 6oz of Amarillo, 3oz of Simcoe and 3oz of warrior. What do you recommend as the hop schedule? I am doing a 90min boil and would like to dry hop as well. Suggestions? Thanks!
Two fermenters to dry hop or 1?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am making an IIPA and I have 6oz of Amarillo, 3oz of Simcoe and 3oz of warrior. What do you recommend as the hop schedule? I am doing a 90min boil and would like to dry hop as well. Suggestions?

Thanks!
My favorite combo! It's a little light on hops for a 10 gallon batch of IIPA, as ideally you'd have twice as much simcoe and amarillo, but you could start with that for sure.

I'd do:
1-2 oz warrior 90 minutes (or whatever it takes to get to about 45-50 IBUs with this one addition)
1 oz simcoe 15 minutes
2 oz amarillo 10 minutes
2 oz amarillo 0 minutes
1 oz simcoe 0 minutes
1 oz simcoe dryhop 5-7 days
2 oz amarillo dryhop 5-7 days.

OP
A

aclockworkblue

Reaction score
Yooper said:
My favorite combo! It's a little light on hops for a 10 gallon batch of IIPA, as ideally you'd have twice as much simcoe and amarillo, but you could start with that for sure. I'd do: 1-2 oz warrior 90 minutes (or whatever it takes to get to about 45-50 IBUs with this one addition) 1 oz simcoe 15 minutes 2 oz amarillo 10 minutes 2 oz amarillo 0 minutes 1 oz simcoe 0 minutes 1 oz simcoe dryhop 5-7 days 2 oz amarillo dryhop 5-7 days.
I could get more to dry hop. What would you suggest now?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Very similar, but doubling up on some of the hops in the boil and then still dryhopping.
1-2 oz warrior 90 minutes (or whatever it takes to get to about 45-50 IBUs with this one addition)
2 oz simcoe 15 minutes
2 oz amarillo 10 minutes
1 oz simcoe 5 minutes
1 oz amarillo 5 minutes
2 oz amarillo 0 minutes
1 oz simcoe 0 minutes
2 oz simcoe dryhop 5-7 days
3-4 oz amarillo dryhop 5-7 days.

BUCKNUTS

Reaction score
aclockworkblue said:
I would do 2oz warrior at 90 3oz amarillo and 1.5 of simcoe at 20 and flameout dry hop with 2-3 oz each of amarillo and simcoe. I made this ipa recently wxcept I bittered with columbus and it was so good. Great hop combo

OP
A

aclockworkblue

Reaction score
Yooper said:
Very similar, but doubling up on some of the hops in the boil and then still dryhopping. 1-2 oz warrior 90 minutes (or whatever it takes to get to about 45-50 IBUs with this one addition) 2 oz simcoe 15 minutes 2 oz amarillo 10 minutes 1 oz simcoe 5 minutes 1 oz amarillo 5 minutes 2 oz amarillo 0 minutes 1 oz simcoe 0 minutes 2 oz simcoe dryhop 5-7 days 3-4 oz amarillo dryhop 5-7 days.
Tastes amazing!

Mark73

Reaction score
Anyone try blending Warrior with Perl as a dry hop. Making an Ipa and I boiled with Chinook and flamed out with Warrior.

Thinking of 1/2 ounce of Warrior and 1/2 ounce of Perl in secondary. What do you think?

Mark