Hops Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Hey guys, apparently the LHBS is out of Cascade hops today, and will be getting a shipment in monday. Only problem is I will be brewing this weekend and need em!

I did a bit of research and it seems you can sub Centennial for Cascade (obviously accuonting for AA% diffrences), does this sound like a good idea to you? Will the centennial come off a bit harsh if i use it for my bittering as well as aroma/flavour?

If this wont work that well, what kind of hops would you guys recommend to replace Cascade in Ed's Hause Ale?

Please let me know, I dont wanna ruin my first AG batch.

Centennial is an excellent hop for a pale ale. Sub with no hesitation.

Its fine for aroma/taste as well? Boy is that good news haha! Would you change anything on the sched? 60-30-15-5? Or just lower the additions accordingly?

Its fine for aroma/taste as well? Boy is that good news haha! Would you change anything on the sched? 60-30-15-5? Or just lower the additions accordingly?

I would probably keep the 30, 15, and 5 minute additions the same and just adjust the 60 minute addition to target the same IBUs. This way you are not losing any flavor or aroma and maintaining the same bitterness.

I would probably keep the 30, 15, and 5 minute additions the same and just adjust the 60 minute addition to target the same IBUs. This way you are not losing any flavor or aroma and maintaining the same bitterness.

Great! Thanks alot for your help! All grain brewing, here we come!

looks like you're going with centennials but i used amarillo for one batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale and actually preferred it to the original.

personally i don't think centenial is a great sub for cascade. cent has a more floral character while cascade is a more citrus based hop flavor/aroma. but thats just me and i dont like centenial hops either

personally i don't think centenial is a great sub for cascade. cent has a more floral character while cascade is a more citrus based hop flavor/aroma. but thats just me and i dont like centenial hops either

Yeah, centennial is not a sub for cascade in the sense that it will taste the same, but I think it is a great hop to showcase in an APA. But that's just me and I really like centennial hops (maybe more than cascade).:D

Centennial will make a nice APA. With only a 1/4 oz at 15 and a 1/4 oz at 5, you will get some nice subtle grapefruit citrus flavor in your brew.

Latest posts

Back