Hops grafting to cannabis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kranken

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm a avid user of cannabis and a consumer of great tasting beer. I am a fan of IPA, love the hops. So what my question is, is does hops grown on cannabis provide a successful taste, and does it provide any additional benefits?

are you saying plant cannabis with a hop plant? not sure if any of the cannabis characteristics would transfer to the hops. have you tried Vaporizing your cannabis and save the left over, I have heard people mix it with peanut butter, if that works, try dry hopping with it. maybe at bottling time so it stays in the bottle and can get mixed in during the pour. not sure if it will add anything since i dont use cannabis, a friend of mine said a guy uses it in a cider he makes.
cheers

If your grafting, the base plant is not going to provide you with anything at harvest. Grafting is all about wanting the stability, shape of the base plant, or multiple plants on one plant. So what ever the top of the plant is, is what will be harvested and will have NO genetic material of the base.

Last edited:
It's been done both ways- cannabis on humulus rootstock and humulus on cannabis rootstock. Originally it was done to try to produce a perennial source of hemp to make rope with back during WWI era and they also looked at the chemical composition of the flowers on these grafted plants and found that no cannabinoids were found in the hop cones. I found this back in the early 90's at an Ag. library at OARDC campus in Wooster and these articles were found in Crop Science Digest if I remember correctly. When I did a search for these a few years ago, I couldn't locate them but did find this article: Cannabinoid formation in Cannabis sativa grafted inter-racially, and with two Humulus species. I would just grow a few plants of each separately and then enjoy each together in one sitting?

If your grafting, the base plant is not going to provide you with anything at harvest. Grafting is all about wanting the stability, shape of the base plant, or multiple plants on one plant. So what ever the top of the plant is, is what will be harvested and will have NO genetic material of the base.
Isn't the idea of genetic material transferring between grafted plants Lysenkoism?

This is true in horticulture. For instance a cherry tree grafted onto a dwarf rootstock will be stunted in growth and will only be 12-15' high or so instead of 50 feet. Regardless, the cherries that you harvest off of the part of the plant that is grafted onto the rootstock will only contain their genetics and not the genetics of what they have been grafted onto. This is the same all accross the board with plants! I hope this helps!

Isn't the idea of genetic material transferring between grafted plants Lysenkoism?

There can be transfer of molecules without there being transfer of genetic material. I believe there's a recorded instance of tomatoes grafted onto nightshades becoming toxic, for example. Root uptake might also affect growth and gene regulation, such as seen with various dwarfing rootstocks. None of this implies DNA exchange.

As B-Hoppy, I believe I've seen a paper on hops grafted onto cannabis with no effect, but it's been a few years and I don't remember it too well.

Hey folks, I'm a avid user of cannabis and a consumer of great tasting beer. I am a fan of IPA, love the hops. So what my question is, is does hops grown on cannabis provide a successful taste, and does it provide any additional benefits?
I had a friend years ago, a home brewer and cannabis connoisseur like myself. During the making of a nice dark Porter, I donated an ounce of really good Marijuana to add to the brew, so he added it to the Wort, and surprisingly, there was a transfer of THC, perhaps even other canabinoids. The only strange effect on the beer itself was a slight oiliness to it, but it didn't effect the flavor, just made your lips a bit slippery. But the beer was amazing. It tasted great, and after a pint or two, you were very relaxed, and sorta hungry...

Back