Quantcast

Hops grafting to cannabis

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kranken

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm a avid user of cannabis and a consumer of great tasting beer. I am a fan of IPA, love the hops. So what my question is, is does hops grown on cannabis provide a successful taste, and does it provide any additional benefits?

Harleybrew32

Reaction score
are you saying plant cannabis with a hop plant? not sure if any of the cannabis characteristics would transfer to the hops. have you tried Vaporizing your cannabis and save the left over, I have heard people mix it with peanut butter, if that works, try dry hopping with it. maybe at bottling time so it stays in the bottle and can get mixed in during the pour. not sure if it will add anything since i dont use cannabis, a friend of mine said a guy uses it in a cider he makes.
cheers

Dgallo

If you ain’t first, you’re last Ricky Bobby
Reaction score
If your grafting, the base plant is not going to provide you with anything at harvest. Grafting is all about wanting the stability, shape of the base plant, or multiple plants on one plant. So what ever the top of the plant is, is what will be harvested and will have NO genetic material of the base.

Last edited:

B-Hoppy

Reaction score
It's been done both ways- cannabis on humulus rootstock and humulus on cannabis rootstock. Originally it was done to try to produce a perennial source of hemp to make rope with back during WWI era and they also looked at the chemical composition of the flowers on these grafted plants and found that no cannabinoids were found in the hop cones. I found this back in the early 90's at an Ag. library at OARDC campus in Wooster and these articles were found in Crop Science Digest if I remember correctly. When I did a search for these a few years ago, I couldn't locate them but did find this article: Cannabinoid formation in Cannabis sativa grafted inter-racially, and with two Humulus species. I would just grow a few plants of each separately and then enjoy each together in one sitting?