Hops ... does year matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myelo

Reaction score
I'm going to buy some hops in bulk for the first time. I've noticed a lot of places will have hops from the most recent year as well as several years before. The older ones are generally a bit cheaper. Are they just as good? How old would you go?

Or is it a matter of certain harvest years being better or at least different than others?

I'm asking about pellets specifically.

IMO you stand a chance to get a 5-10% reduction in quality from 2018 hops. if that’s worth it to you spend the extra $ on later harvests. for me- i’d say buy the freshest hops you can for everything from whirlpool onward (dry hop). bittering, get the best deal you can and adjust recipe for the alpha acid decay rate.

I'm going to buy some hops in bulk for the first time. I've noticed a lot of places will have hops from the most recent year as well as several years before. The older ones are generally a bit cheaper. Are they just as good? How old would you go?

Or is it a matter of certain harvest years being better or at least different than others?

I'm asking about pellets specifically.
There may not be any facts to back this up, but i feel like buying from a company that takes care to properly date, package, & store the older hops makes a difference, too.
I recently found a few hops only.online companies that i have been very happy with. Not the big eveything brew suppliers- just hops. To me it is worth the extra few bucks.
Ymmv

It is a good question. I generally feel that if I am going to buy bulk hops (8 oz or more) than I want either the current crop or the prior crop. Given that it might take me a year to use up the hops, I don't want too old of hops around. It may also just be a mental bias...I feel that I enjoy a beer more knowing that it was made with "fresh" hops.

I am kinda curious about different years. I definitely notice differences from pack to pack, but I don't go through enough of a hop to know if that variance is due to the field it was grown in, the week it was picked, the packaging process, etc. Several years ago I swore off Simcoe and Citra after several strong "cat piss" beers, but I use both those hops often now and I feel like something must have changed in how they are grown or packaged these days.

I do appreciate hop sellers that print the year on the pack and inform you before you order. I have had good luck with the Artisan hops sold by MoreBeer, but I just have to hope that they are a recent crop year. (Does anybody know how to decode the various codes on those packs to track them to crop year?)

In the past, I bought hops from wherever I was ordering all my ingredients from and that varied. Usually what I needed for the next few brews and to have an in-house stock. I currently have 16 different hop varieties, mostly in 2 oz bags, from BSG, YCH, Artisan, MoreBeer, and various unmarked bags. None have dates. This past fall I ordered 6 one pound bags of hops from Yakima Valley 2018 crop. First time ordering that quantity. I am totally sold on them and plan to do this going forward, ordering 8 oz and 1 lb bags once a year. The hops are clearly fresher, greener, and have a stronger aroma. I don't think a single one of the 2 oz bags I have opened since have come close to being as good. Not that they are bad, they are just not as good.

Back