Hops allergies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntinsoldier

Reaction score
Ok, this might be a really weird question. Lol. First of all, I'm a total hop head. I love the aroma and bitterness that just smacks you in the face. That being said, lately when I drink a really hopped up beer, I tend to have hay fever type symptoms. i.e. runny nose, headache, and sneezing. My question is, has anyone ever heard of something like this? If I'm allergic to hops, I'm going to be seriously suffering. Lol

I recently took a blood test for food sensitivities and hops were one of the things tested. Thankfully I was negative in that category (and other beer ingredients). So yes, I have heard of it.

You can be allergic to anything that has protein in it.

Food sensitivities may or may not be allergic in nature. Celiac for example is a genetic defect that causes you to be low on some enzyme, iirc.

Lactose intolerance means your body stopped producing lactase - common in cultures w/o dairy cattle.

I recently took a blood test for food sensitivities and hops were one of the things tested. Thankfully I was negative in that category (and other beer ingredients). So yes, I have heard of it.

Thank you. I didn't know they could test for that. I'll definitely have that done. Kinda sucks enjoying a really good IPA, then feeling like I have a cold. Lol

Huntinsoldier said:
Thank you. I didn't know they could test for that. I'll definitely have that done. Kinda sucks enjoying a really good IPA, then feeling like I have a cold. Lol

If you're interested the test is called MRT120 and it cost me about $280. But I found out a bunch of things I was sensitive to and ever since I cut them out of my diet most of my symptoms have gone away.

If you're interested the test is called MRT120 and it cost me about $280. But I found out a bunch of things I was sensitive to and ever since I cut them out of my diet most of my symptoms have gone away.

Great info! Thank you. I'll definitley hit my doctor up about that.

Back