SMaSH brews to compare hops - how to adjust hops amount for comparable results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yirg

Reaction score
I'd like to compare different hops using small 1 gallon SMaSh brews. It seems 15 grams (half an ounce) would be sufficient. Getting bitterness right is relatively easy, but then the question is how much hops to use for aroma - whatever remains from the 15 grams package, or the same aroma hops amount in each beer? Take for example these two beers:

Beer #1 with Amarillo hops (AA 7.5%)
12 gram for 60 minute boil
3 gram dry hopping
Total amount of hops used: 15 gram
Bitterness would be around 44 IBUs (according to Beersmith)

Beer #2 with Cittra hops (AA 13.4%)
7 gram for 60 minute boil
Either 8 or 3 gram dry hopping <-- this is the question
Total amount of hops used: Either 15 or 10 gram (depending on the amount used in dry hopping)
Bitterness would be very similar as Beer #1, around 46 IBUs (assuming dry hopping doesn't impact bitterness much)

For comparable results, should the amount of hops in Beer #2 at dry hopping be 8 gram (i.e. same total as Beer #1, at 15 gram), or 3 gram (to have the same amount of hops in dry hopping)?

Note that for the sake of simplicity I'm not discussing more complex hops schedule, though I may eventually put hops at other points (likely at flameout). But first I want to get some clarity on what would be a good starting point if I use only dry hopping for aroma.

Thanks!

I'd use the same amount for the dry hop addition. How else are you really going to know? I typically dry hop with 2oz in fermenter (7.5-9 gallons typically).

Also IMO, you'll gain a lot more from the hops if you give hop bursting a try (everything 20 minutes from the end forward). I have an English IPA I brew with that method that rocks. Sure, you use more hops than otherwise, but it's great in the glass. With doin a 1 gallon batch, it won't be all that bad for you (I have several pounds of hops in my freezer).

Another thing to keep in mind. Even IF you don't like the hop character in the brew right away. Give it a little more time (once you're off the hop matter, or chilled) and it starts to mellow out.

Thanks for the interesting feedback. I'm intrigued by the hop bursting option. I may just brew a variant of the first beer with close to 20 gram of Amarillo 20 minutes in instead 12 gram at 60 minutes for the same bitterness (according to Beersmith). If I brew both on the same day then I can also compare both beers as they age. This looks like a valuable experiment to do to decide which hops schedule to use for later experiments, comparing different types of hops.

Edit: It would be very interesting to compare the same total amount using two schedules:
20 gram Amarillo added 20 minutes before end of boil
vs
12 gram Amarillo boiled for 60 minutes, then 8 more grams added as dry hopping

Last edited:
I'd like to compare different hops using small 1 gallon SMaSh brews. It seems 15 grams (half an ounce) would be sufficient. Getting bitterness right is relatively easy, but then the question is how much hops to use for aroma - whatever remains from the 15 grams package, or the same aroma hops amount in each beer?

It depends on what you want to evaluate? Do you really want to test how a beer tastes that uses Citra or Amarillo for a 60 minute bittering charge? Is that something you will typically do when brewing a batch? While I feel like you get a slight different bitterness and flavor contribution from a 60 minute charge, at least for me, testing that would be a different trail. I would be much more interested in the character that these hops give as late boil, flameout or dry hop additions. I would either use a generic hop for bittering, or just get all my bitterness from late hop additions.

Most of my single hop trials have been similar to what Basic Brewing Radio/Video does for their hop trials. I use 1 oz of hops along with 1 lb of DME and 3/4 gallons of water. Just bring it to a boil, add the 1 oz hops, steep for 10 minutes, then chill, ferment, bottle, enjoy. I have been known to do a little different hoping schedule, but I usually always use 1 oz. They will often adjust the hop amount to try and hit a bitterness target across the 3 hops they are evaluating. Brewing these batches really drove home to me how much bitterness you can get in a beer with just late hop additions. Also how nice of a beer you can make with just DME.

Back