Hoppy taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul7218

Reaction score
Hi gang. Feel free to jump in here.

First ever batch, a Nut Brown Ale

This batch, a Pale Ale

This current batch sat about a week and a half in the primary fermenter then about 2 to 3 weeks in the secondary. The batch was kegged and forced carbonated. There is a hint of a bitter bite to it. It was also present in the Nut Brown Ale. Is this inherent to Ales? Does the beer need to sit longer to mellow? Will it continue to mellow in the keg in the frig?

I first thought it tasted a bit "alcoholoy" but have since decided it might be a hoppy taste. It's not bad mind you, just perhaps a bit hoppy. Great color, head, aroma...

What do you guys think?

My next batch is gonna be a Blue Moon knock off from Austin.

Well, most Pale Ale recipes lean toward hoppy -

post the recipe and we'll tell you if it "should" be hoppy or not.
How does it compare to a commercial Pale Ale, like Serra Nevada?

Also, most homebrewing will give you more flavors than you're used to - in many commercial varieties. Mind you there are many, many excellent commercial brews, but the mainstream brews (such as a Newcastle for your nut brown), are not as strongly flavored as you'll find your homebrews to be.

The first thing that came to my mind when you said "alcoholey" is that you pitched the yeast at too high of a temp, which can produce a phenolic taste. I used to have the same problem. What temp are you pitching at?

I have patently waited for the wort to get to 90º as per the instructions. Tomorrow I'm getting a wort chiller. Could that be it? I will post the recipe shortly...

You pitch at 90? Are you kidding? I would not even THINK of pitching until the wort is below 75F/23C. Also, you need to keep fermentation at a VERY steady temp at about 68-72F (20-22C) I also rarely do a secondary but I have a conical fermenter, so I just figure I won't do a secondary.

The nut brown ale was a True Brew kit. 1 can of hopped light malt extract, 1 lb of light dried malt extract, 1 lb Amber dried malt extract, 1 lb special dark brown sugar, Grains:Chocolate, dark crystals, and roasted barley, 1 oz hop pellets, 1 pack ale yeast.

Grains are steeped for 30 minutes, malts added, boil for 45 minutes adding hops final two minutes. add to remaining cool water, wait till temp is 90º or lower pitch yeast. Very similar for the pale ale which has the same sort of taste. Admittedly, I'm not really normally an ale drinker...

most ale yeasts perform best at/below 70°, although each strain has its own preferred temperature range

when you get into high temps, esp around 90° the yeast will throw off lots of esters and can produce fusel alcohol which will give it a sharp alcohol taste/aroma

try to get it closer to 70° or lower before you pitch

filling your sink or tub with ice and water will help get it there - just don't bother wasting ice until the temp is lower than 100° at least

also, if you are topping off with fresh water before you pitch you can chill or freeze the water before hand (try to make sure its sanitized or boiled and cooled before hand) and then add the cold water/ice when your wort gets below 100° or so

I have patently waited for the wort to get to 90º as per the instructions. Tomorrow I'm getting a wort chiller. Could that be it? I will post the recipe shortly...

yeah, wow. just wow.

throw those instructions away...
Check the yeast strain on your yeast manufacturer's website. Shoot for the low side, as active fermentation raises the wort temp by 5 to 10 degrees - yes, really that much! Find a way (tub of cool water?) to to keep those temps down, within the recommended range!

Back