First brew plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumOnTheDocks

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well here I go, the inevitable has happened.
I've spent time on this forum thinking that I'd be able to stick to mead making and stray away from the beer brewing temptation, but alas, I have failed. My grandma led me into temptation with her fond memories of a roggenbier that her mother used to make...

Now saying that I'm on the verge of starting my own batch of beer, but I am at a bit of a loss on where to start.
I've read that the simplest starting point would be an extract brew, but my personal preference would be to skip that step and head straight to all grain brewing.
As far as my equipment goes, I'm probably limited to BIAB for the time being.
Since I've been making mead I already have an autosiphon, starsan, carboys, fermentors and a fermentation fridge that should be finished by the end of the week.

I guess I'm asking whether a roggenbier would be a feasible first time recipe for a beginner, or should I stick to something simpler for the time being.
If something simpler is the answer, then I'd probably like to go for a brown ale/porter or perhaps an amber.

I thank you all in advance for any advice sent my way.

you're looking to learn 3 things:
1. brewing beer
2. brewing all-grain
3. brewing roggenbier

to me, this seems like a lot to bite off for a first brew. i would start with something simpler than a roggenbier for your first brew. roggens can be a bit tricky given the amount of rye that goes in them and their tendency to gum up the works with all their beta-glucans. you shouldn't have a problem with this if you do BIAB, but still - it's one more thing that could happen when you'll also be learning the basics. so, my suggestion would be to learn the basics first.

extract vs. all-grain: extract is indeed easier, so it might come down to how comfortable you're feeling with the brewing process. all-grain really isn't all that much harder. if you're at ease with meadmaking, sanitation, etc then starting with AG isn't a stretch. if you're feeling unsure, would rather do one thing at a time (and have the patience to do this in three steps), then start with an extract brown/porter/amber, then make an AG version of it, then do a roggen.

YMMV :D

I have never brewed a Roggenbeir but if you are comfortable making mead and have any cooking experience you should be fine. Since @sweetcell said there is a lot of Rye in these I'd recommend you use some rice hulls in the mash. Is there a brew story close to you? They will sometimes help newbies out by brewing with them, or a homebrew club? Either way, if you can follow a recipe you should be good to go. Good luck :mug:

Extract versus all grain to me is about control and time management. You can make GREAT beer with extract. There have been many medals won at NHC with extract recipes. With extract some of the work of making the wort has been done for you so it is a little easier and takes a little less time, but the extract is sort of "standardized". To get more variation and depth of flavor you can add steeping grains to the recipe.

With all grain there are exponentially more levers to adjust in the process and ingredients, so you have more control over every aspect of the final product, but the process takes longer, is more complex, and can be frustrating for people who are not prepared for the learning curve.

You make mead already so you probably have your fermentation, sanitation and packaging down already, which is half the battle. Wort production isn't rocket science, but I think it's helpful to do a few simple batches first so you can learn about the process before diving head first into the deep end. You might consider doing a few extract with steeping grains recipes first to learn the steps of wort production, then try a basic all grain recipe. I like your idea to try a brown, stout or amber first. Those styles are pretty forgiving. I would also encourage you to find some recipes that are tried and true, either on a forum like this, through the AHA website, books or at your local shop. Successful recipe creation is an art, and can go sideways fast.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

Cheers!

Hell I say go for it. You mentioned BIAB so no rice hulls needed.
I have made a roggenbier a few times and I do BIAB.
As mentioned traditionally roggenbier is made with at least 50% rye.
I find 50% overpowering and do not use more than 30% based on my personal taste, others may not have an issue with 50%.

I guess I'm asking whether a roggenbier would be a feasible first time recipe for a beginner, or should I stick to something simpler for the time being.
If something simpler is the answer, then I'd probably like to go for a brown ale/porter or perhaps an amber.
If you have the skills to make a roggenbier, start with a roggenbier.

Which may lead you to the next question: what skills are needed to make a roggenbier?

beerandbrewing.com and beersmith.com have articles on brewing roggenbier; and there's probably a number of videos (of varying quality) that show how it's done.

And there are people here at HomeBrewTalk who have made roggenbier using BIAB techniques.

eta: also, this topic Thoughts/input for a newbie getting into the hobby for ideas on starting "all-grain"

Last edited:
Wow, that's a very large number of replies, and I wholeheartedly thank you all for your input.
I think I've come to some conclusions.
As much as I'd love to give the roggenbier a shot, I'll put that plan on hold for the time being, while I gather some actual brewing experience. It is probably for the best.
When you guys mentioned extract brewing, did you mean recipes that used a mix of DME/LME and actual grains or actual beer extract kits? My LHBS doesn't really hold any LME at this time. I guess I could always try one of their extract kits, though the selection isn't exactly great.

I think I'm still mostly aiming for all grain, but I'm now at least considering giving extracts a shot.

You mentioned “being limited to BIAB”. BIAB is not limiting. It’s just another way to do something.

I think many people new to the hobby get into the weeds and overwhelmed with details and options. Make a beer, keep it simple, don’t worry about it, then do it again.

As far as extract vs all-grain, you can make great beer either way, but there is nothing inherently difficult about all-grain brewing. It’s like making oatmeal or coffee. You are basically heating water and adding the grain to sit for an hour, then draining it and possibly running more hot water through it like making coffee. Temps and grind can alter the end result. Have fun with it!

Last edited:
did you mean recipes that used a mix of DME/LME and actual grains or actual beer extract kits
I do extract brewing and almost all of the beers I do are a combination of DME/LME and steeped grains. The grains add character, color and flavor that IMO improve on an all extract recipe. I get good reviews from folks I share my beer with using this method. Good luck!🍻

I do extract brewing and almost all of the beers I do are a combination of DME/LME and steeped grains. The grains add character, color and flavor that IMO improve on an all extract recipe. I get good reviews from folks I share my beer with using this method. Good luck!🍻
I suppose I could give that a try, though I'll likely replace LME with DME since getting it might be easier for me. Just so many choice in beer brewing and I haven't even started yet.

I suppose I could give that a try, though I'll likely replace LME with DME since getting it might be easier for me. Just so many choice in beer brewing and I haven't even started yet.
DME will be fine, just get it from a reputable retailer that turns the stuff over frequently. DME stores better than LME, but even DME can go stale after a few years.

there are a lot of grain choices (and hop choices, and water addition choices, and and and...) in beer making, but ultimately a good temp-controlled fermentation, healthy yeast and proper sanitation are what will get you the best beer. brewers tend to fetishize the recipe because they have control over that, but a clean fermentation is what gets you a good beer. also, you can't brag about how consistent your fermentation is :D i'd rather have a well-fermented boring recipe than an amazing recipe from the gods that was poorly fermented... my experience has been that mead fermentation is more forgiving (specifically less temp-sensitive) and the ingredients have a bigger impact on the final product. as always, YMMV.

Well at least thus far I've yet to have an infection in my meads so at least I appear to have the sanitation part down. I'm certain that will come in very useful here as well :)
That settles it then, I suppose. Looks like I'm going with DME and steeped grain for my first brew. I'll see how that turns out and continue from then. I can only hope the results will be drinkable and that I'll enjoy it as a hobby.

I'll be sure to post my progress.

Check out Brewersbest kits. I started off brewing with those. Good quality kits and a big selection.

Back