First batch in 8 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimLa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For various reasons, got out of homebrewing in 2015, sold the house, moved, life, etc. The itch returned last December, so accumulated a Digimash, Fermzilla, three corny kegs, a new chest freezer, a bunch of stuff. Made a Dry Irish Stout as a first / learning batch. Got a new job, fermented it at 10 PSI, it sat in the Fermzilla for five weeks. At room temps.

A little too hoppy for the style, mashed at 150 indicated (verified accurate with instant pen thermo). Next time: half the bittering hops, and mash at 152. It is quite good.

Next up: Marzen. It is late in the year for that, but fermenting under pressure should help a bit.

It's great to be back to this...

-T

I have to admit: After three years in Germany, I started homebrewing in 1988, for what should be obvious reasons. Ten years later, started down the homebrew judging path. Learned a TON, specialized in Stout/Porter. Shortly after that, offered an Expresso stout to my neighbor, who didn't drink beer at all. He took a sip, and said: " you should get one of these, it's pretty good". Win!

It is (and is to all of us in this community) stunning what commercial nonsense people will drink.

Yeah welcome back. The thing about a good hobby is if it ever goes away, it will be there when you come back. It's an awesome one. I took some pauses too and each time I come back I make better beer (at least I hope so). As for the setup, process, equipment, and result, the sky is really the timit.

Back