Hoppy Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wfu1bunn

Reaction score
Why does my beer not have a hoppy aroma after it’s been dry hopped for 4 days?

+1 to @Jag75 comment. Definitely need more information...

Recipe?
Type of hops?
What water did you use to brew with?
Did you treat the water with anything (water additions)?
Temp of beer during dry hop?
How many days after you pitched yeast did you add dry hops?
How many days have passed between adding the dry hops and tasting the beer?
Is it just you not getting much aroma or has anyone confirmed that it's lacking?

If you can provide more info we may be able to help you out.

Those ^ and ^^

Plus, how did you add the dry hops? Loose, bagged? Any agitation during the dry hop period?

[Edit] Just saw the date on the OP. It's 4.5 days later now, with no response yet. :drunk:

Those ^ and ^^

Plus, how did you add the dry hops? Loose, bagged? Any agitation during the dry hop period?

[Edit] Just saw the date on the OP. It's 4.5 days later now, with no response yet. :drunk:

Sorry, been away for a few days:

Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Beer temp was 67. Used regular tap water and did not treat with anything.

Hopped about 14 days after pitching yeast. Tasted the beer pretty much right away. Maybe I should have let it sit for 30 days?? Only I have tasted at this point.

Hopped with a muslin bag and no agitation.

Thanks for your replies.

these days i pound my beers on the cool down. usually an ounce or two at FO and another oz or three around 160. i threw 5 oz of citra in my last one at 160 and when i kegged it yesterday it was unreal. i never really got the same effect with primary dry hopping.

Not sure if I'm reading that right but it looks like 1.5 oz of dry hop minus the amount of Amarillo Gold which if is the same that's only 2 oz . What was the amount of beer , 1, 3 ,5 or 10 gallons. Water profile might hinder the outcome like Island was saying . Your batch size could matter , for instance I dry hopped mine with 4 oz the second day of fermentation . Then I dry hopped with 5 oz days i think day 6 - 11. Then let it sit for another 10 days . I had plenty on aroma . I also used a muslin bag. If your doing a 5 or 10 gallon batch you might wanna use more hops next time . Better question is how does it taste.

these days i pound my beers on the cool down. usually an ounce or two at FO and another oz or three around 160. i threw 5 oz of citra in my last one at 160 and when i kegged it yesterday it was unreal. i never really got the same effect with primary dry hopping.

Sorry, but what do you mean by pound your beers on the cool down?

Also, an ounce or two at FO and another 3 at 160??

Was a 5 gal batch. Sounds like maybe I need more hops

Hop aroma is the first thing to go when beer is exposed to oxygen. It’s a among the difference when you can keep O2 pickup to a minimum.

That being said when your beers is carbonated the carbonated helps to increase the aroma coming out of your beer.

If you’re expecting very strong aroma
You’re gonna need more than 2oz of dry hop as well.

Sorry, been away for a few days:

Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Beer temp was 67. Used regular tap water and did not treat with anything.

Hopped about 14 days after pitching yeast. Tasted the beer pretty much right away. Maybe I should have let it sit for 30 days?? Only I have tasted at this point.

Hopped with a muslin bag and no agitation.

Thanks for your replies.
No letting it sit longer would not have helped you. It may have contributed to the lack of hop aroma.

If you just used normal tap water, there could be chemicals in your water that diminish hop aroma. You on well water or city water?

If you're not using distilled or RO water and plan to continue using tap water, try using more hops next time and adding some in a whirlpool or at flameout.

Sorry, but what do you mean by pound your beers on the cool down?

Also, an ounce or two at FO and another 3 at 160??

Was a 5 gal batch. Sounds like maybe I need more hops

by pound i mean add a lot after i turn off the heat and while it is slowly cooling and i manually stir it. i usually let the hops sit 30 min like that and then turn on the chiller for a couple min to get it down to around 160 and then add more and let it sit for 30 min and then turn the chiller back on and chill to pitch temp. i find that to get really intense hop flavor and aroma i need to use more than was traditional. i use anywhere from 6-12 oz per 5 gallon batch. the onesy twosy additions in the last stages of fermentation just don't seem to do much for me. i think you need the heat to extract the oils without too much bitterness.

Hop aroma is the first thing to go when beer is exposed to even a small amount of oxygen. It’s amazing the difference when you can keep O2 pickup to a minimum.

That being said when your beers is carbonated the carbonation helps to increase the aroma coming out of your beer.

If you’re expecting very strong aroma
You’re gonna need more than 2oz of dry hop as well.

Back