Hopping Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
I've got this recipe from Beer Captured that doesn't seem quite right on the hops.

McEwan’s No.1 Champion Ale

11 oz. Torrified Wheat
9 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
2 oz. British Roasted Barley
1 oz. Peated Malt

5.75 lb. Muntons Light DME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Light LME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Amber LME
8 oz. Invert Sugar

1.25 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5.4% AA (6.8 HBU)

1/4 oz Fuggles
1/4 oz Hallertau
1 tsp. Irish Moss

White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

According to the book this is 25 IBU. But when I plug the recipe into Beer Recipator it yields only 12 IBU. Anyone know which is right?

promash says that the EK Goldings for 60 minutes boil gives 25 IBUs. I'd say the book is correct.

edit: I tried the recipator. It gives me 21 to 24 IBUs, depending on whether I say the othe two hops are aroma only or 15 minute boilers.

edit #2: what did you put in for your boil volume on the recipator? My numbers above were for a 5 gallon boil. If I drop that down to 3 gallons, the IBUs fall to 13 or 15 (depending on the other two hop additions.)

-walker

Sudster said:
What are the AAU values for your hop inputs. Are they the same AAU's as recipator?
Close enough for government work...recipator says 5, book says 5.4. I notice recipator is showing a 12% utilization...that's pretty low...if my OG is 1.079 for a 5.5 gal batch, what does that make it for the boil at 3.5 gallons?

homebrewer_99 said:
WHOA!!! Sorry, but I'm a Gov't worker and I resent that remark. :mad:

I am a very consciencous worker who saves $$$ when I'm on travel and gives the best I can to our soldiers.

I am also a taxpayer so I look at it as my $$$ too.

It's an old figure of speech. Relax, have a homebrew.

Sam75 said:
It's an old figure of speech. Relax, have a homebrew.

Sure it is, but it's a NEGATIVE that implies the Gov'ts acceptance of a product that would normally not be acceptable. Its a contractor game to perform to the lowest acceptable specifications while the Gov't pays a premium for the product. :mad: I've seen it many times.

Hell, just yesterday I read an article where we are going to allow Turkey to start manufacturing the M4 Carbines for their country. Talk about big business selling this country down the tubes all in the name of profit and greed. I'm all for making a buck, but no one seems to be seeing the big picture. Things this country has been doing for the past 60 years is EXACTLY what caused the fall of the Roman Empire. Hell, it didn't fall it was shoved!

With any luck I'll never see it, but I'm fairly certain you younger people will. Of course, that may be the same thoughts of big business CEOs...not in my lifetime... :mad:

And that is an insult to EVERY taxpayer.

With you being in the USAF, I would think you would have witnessed some of the same stuff?

Rant over....I'll have that HB now. Your round wasn't it? :D

homebrewer_99 said:
With you being in the USAF, I would think you would have witnessed some of the same stuff?

Of course I have. It's still just a figure of speech and guess what.....it's based somewhat on the truth! Does that mean we're all that way? No. But I'm just a little turd in a big bowl. I don't take it personally.

All I've got on hand is 60+ IBU's.....you sure you can handle it? :D

Sam75 said:
Of course I have. It's still just a figure of speech and guess what.....it's based somewhat on the truth! Does that mean we're all that way? No. But I'm just a little turd in a big bowl. I don't take it personally.

Naw, that's the reason I don't like Pilsner Ur-Quell. Too bitter. I'll just have a Budvar or a HW. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Sure it is, but it's a NEGATIVE that implies the Gov'ts acceptance of a product that would normally not be acceptable. Its a contractor game to perform to the lowest acceptable specifications while the Gov't pays a premium for the product. :mad: I've seen it many times.

Hell, just yesterday I read an article where we are going to allow Turkey to start manufacturing the M4 Carbines for their country. Talk about big business selling this country down the tubes all in the name of profit and greed. I'm all for making a buck, but no one seems to be seeing the big picture. Things this country has been doing for the past 60 years is EXACTLY what caused the fall of the Roman Empire. Hell, it didn't fall it was shoved!

With any luck I'll never see it, but I'm fairly certain you younger people will. Of course, that may be the same thoughts of big business CEOs...not in my lifetime... :mad:

And that is an insult to EVERY taxpayer.

Call the government! This thread's been hijacked!!!

Cheesefood said:
Call the government! This thread's been hijacked!!!
I would, but I'm planning on running for office, and I wouldn't want it to be said that I discriminate against gov't employees, contractors, service people, or thread hijackers (not that there's anything wrong with any of that). :cool: :drunk:

homebrewer_99 said:

I wouldn't sweat the M4s too much. They aren't THAT great of a weapon. The US military is now seriously considering switching back to a more full sized round. The .223 of the M4 may be fine used in some configurations, but it doesn't work all that great in a carbine. If the Turks don't manufacture the M4, they would probably build something more deadly.

My 2 cents...

Lounge Lizard said:
I wouldn't sweat the M4s too much. They aren't THAT great of a weapon. The US military is now seriously considering switching back to a more full sized round. The .223 of the M4 may be fine used in some configurations, but it doesn't work all that great in a carbine. If the Turks don't manufacture the M4, they would probably build something more deadly.

My 2 cents...

You're right about that. They only made them for close combat and for storming buildings and vehicle drivers, hence the shorter barrel.

But the biggie on that weapon are the Picatinny Rails where you can mount everything from a laser to a kitchen sink. It still doesn't have a dagnabit bottle opener though.

Sam75 said:

is that all you got??? give me some thing in the range of 120's then i'll be right there!!!! hahaha

sorry, saw that and had to comment!!! think i'll just go drink a home brew and wait for my turkey to finish frying

Back