hopback filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6120

Reaction score
about to brew a 10 gallon batch of American pale ale using my newly hopback for the first time. I normally use a strainer bag for hops in my boil and also have a false bottom in by boil kettle to keep hops out of my 20 plate duda diesel chiller. so I have a 2 part question: 1 does the strainer bag effect hop utilization (it is a large bag with extra space). 2: if I got rid of the bag will the hopback with hops in it be enough straining to stop my plate chiller from clogging.

Re #1, I've heard it can reduce utilization a bit, but IMO I wouldn't worry too much about it. Re #2, I only use my hopback a few times per year. I also have a hop/trub filter from Brewers Hardware before my plate chiller. When I use my hopback, I get next to nothing in the hop/trub filter. The whole hops in the hopback do a pretty amazing job of filtering out debris.

Back