Hop utilization question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does starting your boil before you reach full volume take away from your hop utilization? I started my boil while doing a first wort hop a little early with only maybe 1.5 gallons. Will this take away from my hop utilization on a boil volume that reached 6.6 gallons?

I don't think so. A lot of extract brews are partial boils and they come out fine. I heard of some people using a small pot of water and adding that "tea" to their wort.

Hop utilization is a relationship between hop matter and surface area. Lower the available wort for the hops to contact and lower the utilization. If you eventually got it up to full volume it will probably be fine, or unnoticeable.

In extract brewing the issue is adding 1/2 the final volume to the fermenter where the hops did not have a chance to isomerize with that liquid. Thus reducing the ibu of the extract batch.

If your hopping while running off you will not be able to get a proper ibu calculation. Utilization is dependant on the gravity of the wort and volume. Both these things are changing as you run into the kettle. I start heating as I run off and start boiling once I get to full volume

If I understood the question, topping off certainly limits hop utilization. Full volume boils are more important when brewing a hop forward style like an American IPA. When you add top off water, whatever Isomerized Alpha Acids you had are diluted (proportionally) by the water.

Using a late extract addition however is a great way to counteract some of the issues that can arise when doing a concentrated boil. Add a portion of your extract to the kettle later in the boil rather than at the beginning; say enough to hit 1.040-1.050 OG with the first extract addition, and the rest at flameout. This decreases the concentrated boil's hop utilization penalty and lessens wort darkening.

If it were me though, I would do both: Full Volume Boil and Late Extract Addition. This will yield the best hop utilization and the lightest color.

It looks like the question is about FWH, if the hops were added as the BK was filled. If that is indeed the question, then no, the utilization will not be impacted as the wort will hit a boil before full volume. Well, maybe it would have a couple more IBUs, if it was boiling longer than 60 minutes but not really in a measureable amount.

If I misunderstood the question, then never mind! :D

It looks like the question is about FWH, if the hops were added as the BK was filled. If that is indeed the question, then no, the utilization will not be impacted as the wort will hit a boil before full volume. Well, maybe it would have a couple more IBUs, if it was boiling longer than 60 minutes but not really in a measureable amount.

If I misunderstood the question, then never mind! :D

Nope you were the only person who understands me. I guess I need to work on my writing. Thanks for answering my question.

Back