Hop Trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtarheel

Reaction score
Well, I developed a new hop trellis this weekend. Looking forward to see if it works.....

Hop.Trellis.jpg

I did something similar - used a 10' steel fence top rail bolted through an existing steel fence post.

I would connect a bare copper wire from the pole to a 24" piece of rebar pounded into the ground to serve as a grounding rod in an abundance of caution, just in case.

HI Mirth, I like your idea of a grounding rod. Never thought of that.
I took heavy PVC conduit, cut it to 8", secured it to the fence post and just dropped the metal conduit into it. That way, if or when I want to take the metal conduit down during harvest, I just untie the clothesline on the ground, lift the tube out of the holder and drop the vine to the ground or lean it on the fence to harvest.

I did something similar. I ran aircraft cable between eye bolts at the top of each post. At the end of the season I just unhook the cable and drop everything down. The bow in the line is from the verticals bowing in a little bit - the fence rail is not strong, but it is cheap. This will be year four - 12 oz last year, and hopefully a lot more this year.

Happy growing!

ChewaKPkEJUxeT986

Back