Hop substitution question for Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilGnome6

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing this Petite Saison d'Ete recipe from NB:

Code:
Fermentables

* 4.5 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
    * 2.75 lbs. German Vienna
    * 0.75 lbs. Torrefied Wheat

Boil Additions

* 1 oz. East Kent Goldings (60 min)
    * 0.25 oz. Styrian Goldings (10 min)
    * 0.25 oz. Saaz (10 min)
    * 0.75 oz. Styrian Goldings (2 min)
    * 0.75 oz. Saaz (2 min)

If you choose liquid yeast

* Wyeast #3711 French Saison Yeast

I'm just wondering if it would make much difference to substitute the East Kent Goldings with Styrian Goldings as the bittering hop. I have plenty of the Styrians on hand but none of the Kent.

You will get some flavor from the 60 minute addition, and Styrian Goldings is actually quite a bit different than EKG. It's related to Fuggles, not Goldings, believe it or not.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/pdf/TheBreeding_Varieties.pdf

Styrian Golding (Austira, Slovenian Republic): In the former country of Yugoslavia, hops were grown in two districts, one near Lake Bled in the Savinja Valley and the other in Backa near Zagreb. Styrian (Steirer) Golding are grown on the border of Austria and the Savinja Valley.

By genetics they are true English Fuggles, which are grown seedless. Hence, they are slightly higher in alpha acid content, ranging from 4.0-6.0%. The beta acids are very similar to Fuggles, 2.0-3.0% and the cohumulone is 28%.

The Savinja Valley sufferend badly in the early 1930s from a disease which devastated their (German origin) aroma cultivars. This resulted in a visit to England to obtain an English aroma variety. They thought they had selected a Golding, so they called it Styrian or Steirer Golding unaware it was a Fuggle they had selected. This variety is being used extensively in the UK as a dry-hopping variety.

Back