Hop storage in freezer or kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWJPD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought a pound of each Columbus and Simcoe and used a good portion of each on my last batch, but obviously have some left over. I double ziplock bagged them and then put both of those bags into another ziplock back and into the produce drawer.

I was just informed today that the hops need go somewhere other than the fridge:
Her: I just pulled the air filter out of the fridge it totally smells like hops
Me: And that's bad that the fridge smells like hops? I bet you even threw the filter away without letting me smell it
Her: oh, I saved it. it smells skunky and it's making everything in the fridge and freezer smell skunky. so, you will not win this one young padawan
Her: and I'm wrapping the hops in more ziplocs with a papertowel that has vanilla on it
Her: they effing stink and the airfilter is just perpetuating the smell
Her: i just bought a new filter off of amazon
And she actually loves beer and hops.

So would I be better off putting them in the freezer or just storing them in the back of the kegerator behind the kegs? If I put them in the freezer, will they stink up the fridge again?

I freeze mine, double ziplock bag and never hear any complaints about smell and the hops last longer:) If it's still an issue get another freezer, you can never have too many:D

That's a freezer section filled with frozen hops, vacuum sealed home-grown cones and foil-bagged store-bought pellets. As long as it all stays frozen you'd never know they were in there, and the hops last much longer...

Cheers!

hops_23sep2013_03_sm.jpg

Yup, vacuum sealer. I got one as a gift and never used it until I got into brewing. Buy in bulk, seal and toss in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back