hop removal from secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmatt34

Reaction score
I dry hopped for the first time for a "dark IPA", used pellets and no hop bag. How do i make sure the hops dont get in my keg when i syphon and is it ok if a few do?

do i need to prepare the steel wool in any way? It smells like steel wool, will that transfer into my beer? Can i use a green sos pad that doesn't have soap in it? I am doing it tomorrow morning and would appreciate any input.

do i need to prepare the steel wool in any way? It smells like steel wool, will that transfer into my beer? Can i use a green sos pad that doesn't have soap in it? I am doing it tomorrow morning and would appreciate any input.

I personally wouldn't use steel wool. A chore boy stainless steel scrubby is the way to go imo.

Hop bag material works great tied around the end of the racking cane with a zip tie. Sanitize the whole thing before use.

I tried cheese cloth around the end of my auto-syphon. Didn't work so well. Blocked the flow too much.

try these.....there 100% stainless and wont impart any off flavors. :
PAD35.jpg

+1 on the nylons...worked perfectly!! I just bleached them for a couple of hours first then rinse thoroughly...those orange nylons sure work great!

ugh...I had to use a pair of unused nylons in a pinch and could not believe how long dye continued to bleach out of them before I could use em.

I actually bottled my first IPA the other day which was the result of my first dry hop. I had used pellets right in the secondary and had a nice layer of hop sludge in the bottom. I very quietly siphoned into the bottling bucket and ended up leaving about 1/2" of beer over the sludge when I finally noticed the dust was starting to get sucked up. The beer was crystal clear so it was easy to see I wasn't pulling anything up while racking.

I'd like to try the nylon thing next time tho even though it seems I didnt have any issues.

Back