Hop recommendation for Amber Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Making a simple amber ale from LME and a little Munich and wheat steeped in. Going to use Safale S-04. Looking to keep it about 25 ibu and recipe calculates out to be about 5.5% abv.

What do you recommend?

Hop suggestions from two 5.5% 30 IBU amber ales I've brewed recently:
  • Cascade & Fuggle: see Broken Leg House Amber recipe here at HBT.
  • Liberty: see Shell's Firebrick recipe (brewed with ale yeast) at Beer & Wine Journal.

Heck that sounds great. I have Centennial in whole cone and pellets and Chinook in pellets. I think I used all my Cascade earlier in the year, but had enough C hops to go around for now. I also have a little Simcoe left and had someone call it Cascade on steroids. Not sure how if that is accurate, but I've only used SImcoe in dry hop so far.

2 weeks ago brewed caramel amber ale using chinook and willamette. Love this beer and hop combo.

You can't go wrong with fresh cascade. It is THE hop to use in an American amber, and a small dry hop is a nice touch too

I also like Centennial or Chinook as backup options

Agree with this. My amber ale is 50/50 cascade/centennial and its won a gold medal.

I have an Amber Ale that uses Galaxy, Amarillo and Centennial. It won a local brewery's comp a few years back and I got to brew it there a few times and then they upscaled it at another brewery to can. Basically Amarillo FWH, Amarillo and Galaxy at 5 minutes, Galaxy in Whirlpool and Centennial dry hopped. At the brewery they moved the Galaxy to dry hop with the Centennial.

If you want to go a little British, I once won the British Brown Ale category at a competition with a beer that had East Kent Goldings and Challenger.

Back