Hop question for my Hefe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefulfloyd

Reaction score
So I'm trying somethign out with my Hefe that I'm making this weekend and want to add a citrusy taste to it. I have Chinook hops already (12.5 AA) and was wondering what my hopping schedule should look like for an ounce of them? I was thinking .25 @ 30, 10, 5, 1. Will this make it too high in IBU? My computer w/ Beersmith is messed up and I dont have it on my work comp. Thanks for any help!

Have a couple of house brews that have a great citrusy note to them. One is a Hefe clone and the other is an IPA. You want a citrus note? Try some cascade hops my friend ( ; you will like. Cascade works well as an aroma hop and I combine it with Willamette in my Hefe clone along with Magnum for the bittering.

In my IPA the Cascade is paired with Simcoe for the bittering.

Chinook isn't really known for being citrusy as much as spicy and piney. If citrus is what you want, try Centennial or Cascade (as suggested above), which both give a grapefruit type citrus character. Sorachi Ace also give a real lemony aroma and flavor. Amarillo (orangy citrus) or Citra (tropical citrus) would also be interesting choices.

Pacific jade would also be interesting (lemon, pepper, dill)

If you're using a German hefe yeast go light on the hops - most are high alpha - the bitterness and heavy citrus notes could clash with the banana/clove flavors. Citra has also been said to get a bit catty (urine-like?) if it's boiled too long.

I've used 3oz of citra for my last Hefe with the zest of two medium sized lemon. I looking to use Liberty, Sterling, and possible Olympic since they all have a nice citrus profile and the alpha acid isn't very high except for the Olympic.

Back