Hop pellet storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoofer

Reaction score
Finally went an bought some 1lb bags of hop pellets from YVH. So my question is once I open them up whats the best way to store the unused hops that come packaged in zip lock bags. Currently I just suck the air out, zip em shut, and put the bags in the refer.

The best way is to vacuum-seal them, but if you don't have one of those, try to push as much air out of the bags as possible when re-sealing in ziplocs. Store them in the freezer.

Freezer is better than the refrigerator. If you have CO2 available, putting them in containers (mason jars is what I use), and purge them with gas is better than just zip locks. But if that's all you got, squeeze as much air out of them as you can I suppose, and put them in the freezer. Use them as quick as you can.

+1 on vacuum seal. I split the pellets up in the quantities for a batch of a particular beer, vacuum seal and freeze. Works great.

Edit: Make sure you label them, I have a bunch of hops that I forget what they are. Friggin sucks!!

Thanks for the responses. I dont have a vacum sealer so I just suck hard and zip, lol. But I did put the hops in the freezer!...cheers!

Can get cheap vac sealers for the $30 range I believe. I use mine all of the time now in the kitchen, resealing frozen veg, buying chicken in bulk, and of course hops, etc.

My club is planning on a group hop buy. I'm thinking about going this route.

I thought about using the Mylar bags with an O2 absorber. I could cut the bags, like in the video, to size where I'd have 1oz packs, then it's just a matter of picking out what I need for a brew day. Would that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I fold the top of the hop bag over tightly squeezing the air out as i roll it downwards. Then i put a rubber band around it tightly. After that i bind all the leftover bags together and put them all in a ziplock bag. Then i roll the Ziploc bag tightly with all the other hop bags in there while squeezing out the air again. Pop it in the freezer and you should be good to go.

The vacuum sealers are pretty darn cheap on Amazon, and I have had hops opened and re-sealed using the vacuum in my freezer for over two years that still smell perfectly fresh when opened again. I normally only store long term when I buy by the pound...

Latest posts

Back