Hop packaging damaged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Picked up a lb of bittering hops (Merkur) from LHBS, with contactless pick-up. At the store I just looked through the box to make sure everything was there but when I got home, noticed the package of hops had a nick in it. A little air getting in and out, enough that I could smell the hops. I put them in my freezer immediately when I got home. LHBS said I could come pick up another bag and keep the damaged bag. Question is, how concerned should I be about the damaged bag, and those pellets? I plan to vacuum seal them today if I’m keeping them, just didn’t get a chance to do it yesterday.

It may depend on how long that leak's been in there. And how much it's been breathing since. If the bag was stored in a refrigerator or freezer probably very little concern.

If they smell cheesy (old Parmesan) better toss em.

Well, definitely took the offer haha! The one with a nick in the package were stored in a refrigerator or (probably) freezer at the LHBS, and like I said went right into my freezer. Now I have two lbs of bittering Merkur! I don’t know if I’m going to use the ones in the damaged bag, though... just don’t want to miss out on any bittering potential.

Well, definitely took the offer haha! The one with a nick in the package were stored in a refrigerator or (probably) freezer at the LHBS, and like I said went right into my freezer. Now I have two lbs of bittering Merkur! I don’t know if I’m going to use the ones in the damaged bag, though... just don’t want to miss out on any bittering potential.
You smelled them and they didn’t stink like onions or cheese use them. It’s possible that nick just happened when your order was picked. Could be that they are a little less potent, but probably not enough to be useless.

Or, it was an original packaging defect, and it's been bleeding goodness ever since ;)
But, yes, no sense just pitching them without giving them a really good whiffing. Who knows what's in there...

Cheers!

Back