Hop input to a maple brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

034runner

Reaction score
All

I'm making a double brown ale with some maple in it and I'm looking for some feedback on the hop additions. My grain bill consists of brewers malt, C120, Biscuit and Chocolate for about a 38 SRM and ABV of 8.5 or so.

What are your thoughts on hop profile. Do I go UK or US? I'm thinking early Fuggles or early Willamette, 2 oz or so @ 60 and that's it. Really don't want any hop aroma masking the maple. What about EKG?

Thoughts?

Had a random thought: what about the dark berry/raisin/currant hops, like Galena, or Brewer's Gold? My thought was to move away from pine, floral, and citrus as conflicting with the maple. Fuggle and EKG are good choices though.

Maybe look to the belgian strong ales for ideas.

EKG sounds ok. Herbal hops me thinks; subtle and supportive of the maple. Maybe US Goldings or Nugget or perle are good choices as well. BU:GU in the 0.4-0.5 range, so 30-40 IBUs..

8.5 is big. The maple could get lost behind all that malt.

EKG sounds ok. Herbal hops me thinks; subtle and supportive of the maple. Maybe US Goldings or Nugget or perle are good choices as well. BU:GU in the 0.4-0.5 range, so 30-40 IBUs..

8.5 is big. The maple could get lost behind all that malt.

Hey, a fellow Pittsburgher.

Thanks for your input. Yeah I'm thinking right in the middle of your range there at 35 IBU.

Back