hop idea for american ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey want to brew an american ipa and was wondering if anyone would mind looking over my hop idea and letting me know what they think. This is my first attempt and an ipa recipie so bear with me.

Chinook - 1.00oz 60min
Chinook - .50z 45min
Willamette - 1.00oz 15min
willamette - 1.00ooz 5min
willamette - 2oz dry hop secondary 7 days (or would 14 bet better)

again any ideas/thoughts on these hop additions would be great thanks.....

Ty

Do NOT dry hop willamette longer than 7 days. I remember that IPA. I had to re-dry hop with 3-4 ounces of cascade to mask the stale hop aroma.

You shouldn't dry hop more than 7-10 days to begin with. Grassy,vegetal flavors can ensue. And an ounce of Chinook at 60mins & .5oz @ 45mins seems a touch much bittering. Especially for something light & delicate like Willamette. Not exactly American in that respect. More English IPA.

A local brewery uses some mixture of these hops in no way trying to duplicate his beer rather using it as an idea to build on......I am shooting for the high 70's pils for ibus so that's why I added the hops at 45

You shouldn't dry hop more than 7-10 days to begin with. Grassy,vegetal flavors can ensue. And an ounce of Chinook at 60mins & .5oz @ 45mins seems a touch much bittering. Especially for something light & delicate like Willamette. Not exactly American in that respect. More English IPA.

i disagree as a blanket statement- i've dry hopped for over 2 weeks in secondary before (with 3oz) with no noticeable off flavors

it depends on the variety, temps etc

i've left dry hops in the keg for a month with no off flavors as well

I dry hopped my IPA with 1.5oz of 3 different hops for a week,& the aromas were pretty strong. & kegs get chilled,so hop oil absorption would slow down in a cold liquid. Also can't depend on dry hopping for long periods every time without the mentioned off flavors. I can't believe a 3 week dry hop wouldn't get the usual reaction.
And Chinook runs 11-13%AA,so 1.5oz the first 15mins of an hour boil might be pretty bitter.

I will also re-enforce the notion that you shouldn't dry hop for too long. I used to DH for 10 days, and I recently started DHing for 3-5 days and it changed the world. You really notice the flavor and aroma with shorter times... Which is what you're going for when dry hopping. Sure, sometimes you can get away with long periods of time, but you want those hops young and fresh!

Back