Hop filter solution for eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what to do with my stainless mesh hop basket when I complete my eBIAB build. I need it, as my CFC is only 1/4" ID. I will be utilizing a steam condenser during the boil, so I cannot hang it from the side of the kettle, as the lid needs to seal tightly. I know people use JB Weld to attach magnets to theirs and side-mount it to the kettle wall, but I would like to keep it centered in the kettle to avoid disturbing the whirlpool. I will be using the Brew Hardware mesh "false bottom" to keep my grain bag off of the heating elements, so maybe I could rig up the false bottom and the basket with magnets and just drop the hop basket into place after the mash?

I just leave the Brew Hardware false bottom in during the boil and rest my mesh hop basket on that. Mine is short enough to fit inside the kettle with the lid on.

Sorry, missed that part of the original post. I've always stuck gloves on and pulled it at the end of the boil. Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but never had issues other than slow draining from the basket. Beers always came out good.

Sorry, missed that part of the original post. I've always stuck gloves on and pulled it at the end of the boil. Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but never had issues other than slow draining from the basket. Beers always came out good.
I could do the same, but if I hop burst/add during whirlpool, then I still need it.

I attached a small stainless steel chain to my false bottom and drape the loose end over the side of the kettle during mash. Then after I pull my bag out and let it drain, I pull out the false bottom using the chain. I use the chain so I don't have to stick my hand into the hot wort.

Back