Hop extract experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysteryberto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I was thinking about a bottle of hop extract I have from Freshops. It's pretty cool just being able to add a drop or two and having a swill beer with hop flavor.

It comes in Cascade but I want variety! I've made various flavored vodkas with vanilla beans and coffee. Why not make a hop flavored oil by adding hops to alcohol?

So I began on my Thursday night experiment. My ingredients are 190 proof grain alcohol, jar, and Amarillo pellet hops.

I've done a bit of googling and searching here but couldn't find any hop extract recipes calling for alcohol. This is my first shot and I kinda winged the amounts used. I'm using .5 oz of Amarillo pellet hops and 1.5 oz of 190 proof grain alcohol.

The ingredients:

Hops in a jar:

Alcohol is added:

After stirring for a bit:

Be interesting to see how it turns out and tastes. I plan on diluting it with distilled water and straining through a coffee filter.

Interesting, let us know how it turns out, thats what I like about this forum, someone always pushing things to the extreme, cool idea even if it doesn't turn out that good, good luck.:mug:

Hey even if it doesn't work out like you wanted, I'm sure there are a few hopheads here that'll pay you for that 180 proof hop juice..:drunk:

I've seen mention of hop extract b4 (forums).
Most claim they never used it, or there was no prescribed instructions as to how much to use, etc.
Interesting!
2hewqyf.jpg

I recently made a hop tea using 4 oz of German Tradition Hop (I think...).

I boiled 1 gal of water with the hops and some malto dextrin (non fermentable sugar) for 1 hour.

Afterwards I seperated the hops form the water with a nylon net.

I boiled down the water to 10 oz. It is very bitter.

I used 3 drops in 1 glass and it changed the flavor some, but I need to do more experimenting.

Not too far from this topic....

This is what ThymeGarden.com sez bout hop teas, etc.

"To use it as an aid for insomnia and restlessness the dried flower cones can be used in tea or stuffed in a hop pillow.

To make a hop pillow: Simply stuff a small muslin bag with some dried hop flowers, first sprinkling them with either alcohol, water or scented oil to reduce the crunchy sound. Other fragrant herbs may also be added to your pillow such as mint and chamomile or add mugwort for dreams too.

To make hop tea: Pour one cup boiling water over 1/2 - 1 tsp. of dried hops and let steep for 5-10 minutes. Can add honey and drink hot at bedtime."

Hop oils aren't all that soluble in alcohol. Steam and liquid CO2 are the main extraction methods.

It will be interesting to hear your results.

So, if we start with distilled water and boil some hops for 60 or 30 minutes for whatever flavor wanted. Strain out the hops. Then boil down to get a concentrated liquid and possibly add alcohol as a preservative. Sounds like I have an experiment for a rainy day.

Hop oils aren't all that soluble in alcohol. Steam and liquid CO2 are the main extraction methods.

It will be interesting to hear your results.
This is the typical method used for extracts aside from chemical extractions, which usually aren't meant for consumption. It's safer and far smoother as well as better tasting.

You really don't want to extract with alcohol as it tends to extract some nasty untasty stuff. I attempted to make stevia extract in the method the OP tried, and it just ended badly. I did end up using the mistake to extract capsaicin from bhut jolokia chiles even with the stevia failure and that worked nicely. A drop or two in some tea for a fiery beverage rules!

So, if we start with distilled water and boil some hops for 60 or 30 minutes for whatever flavor wanted. Strain out the hops. Then boil down to get a concentrated liquid and possibly add alcohol as a preservative. Sounds like I have an experiment for a rainy day.
A gentle boil, but yes, this would work.

The extract seems a little weak in flavor and I think I let it sit on the hops too long (5 days). It extracted some grassy and bitter flavors from the hops.

Next experiment I'll try what was suggested above with an espresso machine.

I'm guessing there's no way to extract using supercritical CO2 at home eh?

The extract seems a little weak in flavor and I think I let it sit on the hops too long (5 days). It extracted some grassy and bitter flavors from the hops.

Next experiment I'll try what was suggested above with an espresso machine.

I'm guessing there's no way to extract using supercritical CO2 at home eh?
you'd have to have big espresso maker. lol

You should be able to google herbal extract recipes. They're pretty easy and would work well for you. If you can brew a beer, an herbal extract is fast and easy.

you'd have to have big espresso maker. lol

You should be able to google herbal extract recipes. They're pretty easy and would work well for you. If you can brew a beer, an herbal extract is fast and easy.

My first attempt is an herbal extract.

Today I completed another experiment using my espresso machine.

Ground hops I don't know the exact amount since my scale is out of batteries.

Hops in the filter:

Final result:

From these hops experiments I learned that hop extraction is best left to the pro's. The commercial extract I've tried is very clean tasting and colorless with no off flavors.

The alcohol based extract isn't actually too bad in a beer but it does cloud the beer up. The espresso machine extract tastes really strong and bitter with a strong vegetabley flavor to it.

Latest posts

Back