Hop experts, help me identify this plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdamanii

Reaction score
252183_747066061599_13801726_37860419_3834505_n.jpg

It's entwined around my deck, and I'm curious if the hops are going to be something I'll be able to use.

Willamette?

It would be extremely hard to tell from a picture. Need to smell/taste.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use them, they appear to be in good shape!

It Hulumulus Lupulis.

Only way to know if the hops are useful is to try them. Rubb em in your hands to get a feel for aroma. Make a tea for an idea of flavor/bitterness.

Brew a smash. Single malt and single hop. Having tried them in a basic beer you'll have a better grasp of what you can do with them. Good luck.

My initial thought was they may be Willamette.

From what I've read, the only way to determine AA is to send them off to be analyzed? Perhaps I'll just use them as a dry hop for something.

In terms of using them, can they be used wet or is drying mandatory?

Drying isn't mandatory, but will greatly reduce the amount of hops you'll need in any recipe. Here's a good link (not my find, just passing it along) for a very basic dryer I plan on using for my first year Newports:

I am somewhat in the same boat in that I cannot find much information on my hop variety so I'll be following retrofit's advice (s.m.a.s.h.), with a malt I'll be using in at least two other recipes first, to get a handle on what exactly a Newport does.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look alot like my Mt. Hoods, but who knows. Like Gila said, rub some in your hands and see if you get any thing from them. Last Summer my father brought me some from a friend of his. The looked good, but once tried and broken open, there was no lupulin or odor to speak of. Complete fail.

As far as the drying video goes.....I just lay my hops out on a sliding door screen in my 80 degree garage for 3 days and they are ready for vacume sealing. So much easier, unless you like building stuff.

Back