hop ball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recompense

Reaction score
during my last batch, i used a hop plugs rather than pellets (haven't used fresh hops yet). I noticed that the muslin bag i used to contain the hops was floating and packed once the hops saturated.

is there reason to believe that i will not receive enough of the flavors i was looking for since the bag was so tight?

are you suppose to keep the muslin bag pretty loose?

thoughts?

I've read several places that constricting the hops can lead to lower utilization and thus lower IBU levels. I would have to imagine on some level it would affect flavors/aromas in a similar way - no personal experience though.

Leave the Muslin Bag tied at the very top so it's as loose as possible. The more the hops can move around inside that bag the better the utilization. Get yourself a 5gal paint strainer bag and use that, it's worked from day 1 for me.
Image:Hop_filter.jpg
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Hop_filter.jpg

bummer - I started with a 1.083 OG and calculated IBUs at 110... hopefully it balances out... no matter...Good to the last drop. :D

I don't know whose idea it was first so I don't know whom to give credit to, but like I said it's worked for me since day 1!

Back