Hop aroma fading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akpingel

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I recently brewed a black IPA with substantial dry hop of centennial hops. I used about 1 oz, for about 10 days at fermentation temps. I then kegged the beer and after carbonation the beer was unbelievable! Now, about 6 weeks later, the aroma is all gone and the black IPA tastes/smells morelike a standard porter. Still delicious, but missing the hops! Anyone know how to keep that hop aroma around for longer? I am always amazed when I crack open a Stone IPA and the aroma is so strong. How can I replicate this with my kegged beers??

Thanks and cheers!
Alex

Add a substantial amount at flameout as well. My hop aroma tends to hang around for a very long time, far longer than when most people say then tend to fade.

1 ounce per gallon for dryhopping is my MINIMUM if I'm after a hoppy beer.

Cool- I will add more hops next time, hopefully that will make the aroma stick around longer! :mug:

An IPA that has been kegged six weeks is a pretty old IPA. The aroma will fade pretty quickly, and IPAs are best enjoyed while fresh. You can try refreshing the dryhops by readding at week 3 if you can't drink the keg faster than that.

One other thing that might help preserve some hops aroma is to not purge the keg unnecessarily. For example, some people will burst carb their keg and then purge and reset the regulator and then give it more gas, and purge, etc. Each purge will release some of the delicate hops aroma so I'd try to minimize that if possible.

Otherwise, I just drink my IPAs pretty fast. they just simply don't age well.

OK- so I am bumping up this old thread... sorry! I recently made the zombie dust clone by keezerpleezer - absolutely smashing beer. I followed the recipe to the T including dry hop amounts and timing. It worked out perfectly that the beer was in a keg for 6 days before the Weds before Thanksgiving. I poured glass after glass that Weds and Thurs and shared it with friends and it was wonderful. I didnt think the keg would last through the weekend it was so good. Well it did, I left town Tuesday for work, came back today and the beer is horribly void of the hop taste. There is still significant nose, but all of the wonderful citra flavors are gone. What am I not doing right? Should I dry hop then keg? Heck- at this point I am not sure if I can even drink it faster!

P.S. After editing this post I am wondering if it is because the keg is low. I just checked it and it feels like it is about to be done. I will count the glasses poured from this point and report back. :beer:

Thanks for the help, and sentiments for a wonderful beer passed by.
Alex

I am thinking it may be because I have my temp too low and pressure too high. I am going to adjust and see what happens...

Back